Why NFF yet to confirm Waldrum’s new contract

By Daily Sports Nigeria on September 28, 2023

PUNCH Sports Extra can exclusively report that the cancellation of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers involving Nigeria and Sao and Principe hindered the contract talks between the Nigeria Football Federation and Randy Waldrum.

Waldrum took over the Super Falcons job in 2020 after he signed a three-year deal with the federation and his contract is set to expire next month.

The country’s football governing body had begun contract renewal talks with American, who led the former African champions to a round of 16 finish at the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last month.

Earlier this month, following reports (not PUNCH Sports Extra) that Waldrum had been sacked after the NFF held its Executive Committee meeting in Uyo, an aide to the NFF president, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told PUNCH Sports Extra that the federation officials were happy with the American gaffer’s performance at the World Cup and thus urged its Technical Committee to immediately reach out to Waldrum for the renewal of a new deal, a one-year contract.

Two weeks after the report, there had been no confirmation announcing the renewal of the 67-year-old coach and a source in the Super Falcons camp had revealed to our correspondent that both parties were scheduled to discuss terms earlier this month.

“The Technical Director reached out to Waldrum to say they wanted to keep him on moving forward,” the source said.

“They were going to meet to renegotiate during the São Tomé games but obviously they didn’t get to do so with the games being cancelled. Hopefully, they will reach out to him soon and start the process.”

The nine-time African champions were to host the Sao Tome and Principe ladies in the first leg of the qualifying match at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena, Lagos September 22, with the return leg scheduled for Tuesday, September, 26.

The Island country however pulled out of the qualifiers citing logistics as the primary reason for their opponents’ withdrawal from the WAFCON qualifiers.

“Sao Tome have officially withdrawn from the game against Nigeria,” he said.

“They said they don’t have a stadium in their country and that has increased their cost of participating in international competitions,” NFF’s Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, told PUNCH Sports Extra.


 

 

Source Punch Ng

Posted September 28, 2023


 

You may also like...
Enugu Rangers' Itodo confident of victory over Sunshine...

Juventus Join Race For Aubameyang

Amusan, Harrison renew rivalry at adidas Atlanta City...

Shehu Dikko: Face-to-face with the man who breathed...

We Have Already Made A Decision On Future...

Ghana re-appoint Kwesi Appiah as coach

 

Latest News Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,640 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,049 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media