By Daily Sports Nigeria on June 28, 2023
Bayern Munich said Wednesday they had decided not to renew their sponsorship arrangement with Qatar Airways, which had long been controversial because of human rights concerns in the Gulf country.
In a joint statement, both sides said the contract would end “by mutual agreement” on June 30 after a five-year partnership.
“The connections that FC Bayern has been able to forge with its fans in the Arab world through Qatar Airways will remain,” the statement said.
Bayern’s new CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen said the team and Qatar Airways “have worked together successfully and learned from each other”.
Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways’ chief executive, wished Bayern “all the best for the future”.
“FC Bayern is a great football club whose games we have followed with joy and passion,” he added.
Germany’s biggest club had long faced criticism for its ties to Doha and the state-owned carrier in relation to alleged human rights issues, particularly surrounding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
At the club’s 2021 general assembly, members disrupted the meeting with boos and chants calling for the connection with the Gulf state to be cut.
During last year’s World Cup, the German national side backtracked on a promise to wear a “One Love” armband in support of human rights and diversity, blaming the decision on threats of on-field sanctions from FIFA.
In the pre-match photo before the first game of the tournament, the German side posed with their hands covering their mouths, issuing a statement that they had been silenced by the sport’s governing body.
Germany were eliminated at the group stage for the second successive World Cup but denied the team was distracted by off-field events.
Source Punch Ng
Posted June 28, 2023
You may also like...
Moses Simon spoils Kingsley Madu's debut in Belgium...
Enugu Rangers Hammer Star Plus 4-1 to Lift...
Man City beat Chelsea, close gap at EPL...
50 football stars, 150 journalists attend Messi wedding...
I knew Enyimba's worst would be a continental...
Enyimba ready for CAF Champions League battle in...

FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,107 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,061 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,448 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,029 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,402 views)