By Daily Sports on February 12, 2022
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick says Odion Ighalo will be back for Nigeria’s World Cup playoff games against Ghana in March.
Ighalo was included in Nigeria’s 2021 AFCON squad after coming out of retirement, but the former Manchester United striker could not honour the callup because of club issues.
However, Pinnick has now confirmed that the 32-year-old attacker will be back for the two massive games against Ghana next month.
The NFF president said this after visiting Ighalo in Qatar where he is currently representing his new club Al-Hilal at the FIFA Club World Cup. Pinnick said: “I just met with @ighalojude, the highest goalscorer at the 2019 edition of the AFCON, now playing and still scoring goals for Saudi Arabia’s biggest football club. Odion has assured that playing for his country will always come first and he is ready to ensure that we do play at this year’s @FIFAWorldCup in Qatar.
Ighalo had initially retired from national duty in 2019, but he came out of retirement after speaking to Pinnick and ex-Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.
The former Watford man played in the 1-1 draw in the World Cup qualifying clash against Cape Verde last year and should have represented Nigeria at the AFCON, but was denied the chance by his former club Al-Shabab.
Meanwhile, Pinnick also expressed his happiness over Ademola Lookman’s availability for selection. The Leicester City winger has now been cleared by FIFA to represent Nigeria after playing for England’s youth teams.
Source
Posted February 12, 2022
You may also like...
Rivers Utd Captain Festus: We’re Still On Course...
Tottenham v Arsenal: Gunners Request Postponement Of North...
Knockout Chaos roundup: Joshua KOs Ngannou, Parker claims...
Tribunal adjourns Obi’s petition, as LP legal team...
Liverpool Vs Man City Showdown: It’s Win Or...
Andy Murray hints at retirement, says 'may only...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,877 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)