By Daily Sports on February 7, 2022
Marc Overmars has abruptly quit as director of football at Dutch champions Ajax on Sunday after apologising for sending inappropriate messages to female colleagues.
Overmars, a renowned winger in his playing days for Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona and the Netherlands, said he was “ashamed” after being confronted by the club in the last week about his behaviour.
“Unfortunately, I didn’t realise that I was crossing the line with this, but that was made clear to me in recent days,” he said in a statement. “I suddenly felt enormous pressure. I apologise. Certainly for someone in my position, this behaviour is unacceptable. I now see that too. But it is too late. I see no other option but to leave Ajax.”
The club said “a series of inappropriate messages sent to several female colleagues over an extended period of time” led to the decision. The conduct, described as “extremely painful for everyone” by supervisory board chair Leen Meijaard, will see Overmars leave with immediate effect.
“It is devastating for the women who have had to deal with the behaviour,” Meijaard said. “When we heard news of this, we immediately acted, carefully deliberating and weighing what was the best thing to do, all in consultation with CEO Edwin van der Sar and assisted by an external expert.”
The 48-year-old Overmars started as director of football at Ajax a decade ago and has been working under Van der Sar, a former Ajax and Netherlands teammate. “I find the situation appalling for everyone,” Van der Sar said. “In my role, I also feel responsible to help colleagues. A safe sport and working climate is very important. We will pay even more attention to this in the near future.”
Source The Guardian
Posted February 7, 2022
You may also like...
Victor Moses receives N13.9m watch from Roman Abramovich...
Cavani, Mbappe Injured as PSG’s Problems Pile Up...
Taekwondo Federation to hold elections Friday
Messi: Nigeria’s Ighalo forced out of Saudi club...
Rashford Breaks West Ham Hearts With Late Winner...
I want to be the best Egyptian ever...

No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,392 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,283 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,884 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,637 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,046 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,723 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,587 views)