By Victor Enyinnaya on January 31, 2022
The crisis currently rocking the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), on who becomes the head coach of the Super Eagles has continued to tear apart the apex football governing body in the country.
Daily Sports can now authoritatively reveal that the NFF Executive Committee is caught on the web as whether to sign the dot lines with the Portuguese Vitor Jose Peresie who exclusive reports said is angry with the NFF for failing to bring him down to sign the contract papers since the announcement of his appointment.
Daily Sports can further report that the Portuguese handler refused to come down to Cameroon to observe any game in AFCON because of the refusal of the NFF to sign his contract papers therefore, the possibility of signing him on as it was so strong before the AFCON began.
According to insider source within the NFF, it looks as if the high command of the body is no longer keen on Peresie and likely thinking towards retaining Austin Eguaveon to steer the Nigerian team against Ghana in World Cup play-offs in March.
It was further gathered that many are routing for Eguaveon’s retention because he knew the players better than the Portuguese who it was alleged does not know any player of the team he is angling to handle.
These factors weighing against the foreign technical hand are most hindrance against his immediate employment.
The usual credible sources within the NFF insisted that time is short and there will be no how the new man would come in February and oversee the World Cup 2022 play-off against a team like Ghana in march despite the crisis also rocking Ghana after the on going AFCON, recalled that Ghana also exited the championship unceremoniously prompting the sack of their chief coach.
Daily Sports can also reveal that the meeting between Sports Minister and NFF chiefs failed to reach a meeting point and the gathering was put to continue. The issue of who leads the team now that the country is out of the AFCON has remained a naughty one facing Nigeria today.
Daily Sports was told that the fight for supremacy going on between the Minister and NFF if not quickly and effectively checked may adversely affect the chances of the Super Eagles against Ghana in March World Cup play-offs. The way out of the current impasse would be for both bodies to put Nigeria first and then be on the same page to resolve this crucial issue of who heads the country’s flagship team so as to avoid future failures.
The issue of who would steer the national team through to the forthcoming crucial World Cup play-offs against an arch rival country when it come to football, Ghana who is also so desperate to be in UAE 2022 World Cup tournament. The NFF bigwigs who spoke to Daily Sports in confidence concerning the situation on ground, saying it may spell dooms day if not nipped on the bud without much postponement, because the time between the play –offs and now is no longer far apart and therefore they urged for quick resolution so that the head coach would start his road map towards picking the sole ticket for the World Cup.
“Now the coast seems not clear whether it is Eguaveon or the Portuguese that had been touted before the nations Cup. Many conflicting reports are emanating and circling, which is not healthy for the survival of the team whose exit from the ongoing AFCON shocked even the players to the bone marrow. Again going through this kind of controversy on who handles the team through to the impending World Cup play-offs remains worrisome,” the highly dependable sources within the NFF chorused.
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 31, 2022
You may also like...
Premier League: Salah Sends Liverpool go seven points...
Klopp Fumes As West Ham End Liverpool’s Unbeaten...
Hazard: Chelsea Exit Was Decided In 2018
Xenophobia Hits South African Football; Zambia Cancels Friendly...
Soccer fans, Rangers FC disappointed as Enyimba FC...
I will fight anyone, says Itauma after Whyte...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,796 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,116 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,850 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,534 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)