By Daily Sports on December 7, 2021
A senior Barcelona youth coach, Albert Benaiges, is being investigated in relation to multiple complaints of sexual abuse at a public school where he taught, Spanish police said on Tuesday.
Catalonia’s regional police force, Mossos d’Esquadra, has received “several” formal complaints against Benaiges, a spokesman for the force told AFP, without providing further details.
“An investigation has been opened, the affair is not closed and police expect to receive a certain number of complaints,” he added.
Catalan newspaper Ara reported Friday that over 60 of Benaiges’s former students have accused him of sexually abused students while he was a physical education teacher at their public school in Barcelona.
The complaints are from alleged victims of the abuse or former students who say they witnessed it. Among the accusations levelled against Benaiges are claims that he showed children pornographic videos, exposed himself, touched children and made them undress in front of classmates.
The alleged abuse took place in the showers and gym of the school where he taught physical education for 38 years until 2010, as well as at his home and at camps. Contacted by Ara, the 71-year-old denied the allegations.
Benaiges was also a key member of Barcelona’s youth training academy, known as La Masia, from 1991-2011, coinciding with a generation of the club's best players, including Andres Iniesta.
After leaving the club in 2011, Benaiges went on to work abroad for several years, including spells in Mexico, the United Arab Emirates and the Dominican Republic. He rejoined FC Barcelona’s youth academy earlier this year after Joan Laporta was re-elected as the club's president in March.
Benaiges left the club earlier this month. Ara reported that he parted ways with Barcelona the day after the club became aware of the paper’s investigation.
“This gentleman does not work for Barcelona anymore for personal reasons,” Laporta said Saturday when asked about the affair.
“We are collecting all available information on the subject, and when we have it, we will make an official statement,” he added.
The following day, Laporta expressed his “total support for all possible victims who have suffered these reprehensible acts.”
“FC Barcelona is working with the Mossos d’Esquadra to shed light and establish whether any of these events occurred within our establishment.”
In February 2019 Atletico Madrid severed its ties with the man who ran their youth academy after he admitted sexually abusing a boy in his charge in the 1970s at a school where he worked. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Benaiges
Source Daily Sports
Posted December 14, 2021
You may also like...
Eagles coach clarifies Ramadan controversy
Welcome Back, Falcons; Soldier On, Super Eagles!
CHAN: Ezenwa, Odey, Ibrahim top Yusuf list against...
Ajagun thumbs up team, coach; charges Rivers United...
Aubameyang, Mahrez shortlisted for African Player of Year...
Igali tips male wrestlers for glory

Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,068 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,529 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,958 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)