China Says Peng Shuai Case Is ‘Maliciously’ Hyped Up

By Daily Sports on November 23, 2021

Views: 107

China on Tuesday said the controversy surrounding Peng Shuai was being “maliciously” hyped up, after the Chinese tennis star made sexual assault claims against one of the nation’s most powerful politicians.

Peng, a Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, was not seen for more than two weeks after she made the accusations against former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli. The 35-year-old Peng reappeared in public for the first time at the weekend when she was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament.

“I think some people should stop deliberately and maliciously hyping up, let alone politicise this issue,” said foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian in response to a question on whether the case affected China’s international image. Beijing will host the Winter Olympics in February.

“I believe you have all seen that she recently attended some public events and had a video call with IOC president Thomas Bach,” Zhao added.

The comment was the most direct response from the Chinese government to Peng’s case. Until Tuesday, Beijing had repeatedly brushed off questions about her whereabouts and welfare – calling them “not a diplomatic issue”.

Evidence of her claims have also been scrubbed from China’s highly censored Internet.

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has threatened to end lucrative contracts with China unless it gets word of Peng’s safety.

Peng appeared in a 30-minute video call with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief on Sunday. The organisation said in a statement that during the call, “Peng Shuai thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being.”

“She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” it said.

Earlier Sunday, Peng was seen attending a Beijing tennis tournament, in official photos of the event. But human rights groups and sporting authorities overseas have continued to voice concern about Peng and whether local authorities will act on her allegations.

“This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern,” the WTA said, when asked about the IOC call.

Human Rights Watch also slammed the IOC and called for them to explain how the video call with Peng had been organised.

“The IOC has vaulted itself from silence about Beijing’s abysmal human rights record to active collaboration with Chinese authorities in undermining freedom of speech and disregarding alleged sexual assault,” said Yaqiu Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“The IOC appears to prize its relationship with a major human rights violator over the rights and safety of Olympic athletes.”

Peng, a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion, alleged earlier this month that Zhang, now in his 70s, “forced” her into sex during an on-off relationship spanning several years.

Following a global outcry, including from tennis superstars and the United Nations, Chinese state media reporters have released a flurry of footage purporting to show all is well with Peng.

Peng’s claims against Zhang were the first time China’s #MeToo movement has touched the highest echelons of the ruling Communist Party. (BBC)

•PHOTO: Peng (L) and Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 23, 2021


 

You may also like...
FIFA Congratulate Maradona, Inka Grings, others on birthday...

Osimhen Set To Complete €81 million Napoli Move...

Real Madrid’s Champions League Hopes Hangs In Balance...

Osimhen Turns Down Napoli — Reports

Red-Hot Iheanacho Strikes Down Man Utd As Leicester...

Rafael Nadal powers into Miami Open final

 

Latest News Preview: Liverpool Host Everton In Big Local Derby Cracker Rangnick To Miss Man Utd’s Match Against Arsenal Israel Adesanya Pays Tribute To Late Rival Alapati Afoa Scotland Rugby Star Cattigan Dies Aged 26 Joe Aribo Valued At Over £10M By Former Rangers Player Benzema Not Upset After Ballon d’Or Snub-Ancelotti EU Wants Verifiable Proof Chinese Tennis Player ,Peng, Is Safe Guardiola Praises Grealish Ahead Of Aston Villa Return Africans Disagree As Mendy Loses ‘Best Goalkeeper’ Award To Donnarumma Leeds Beat Crystal Palace Through Late Penalty England Beat Latvia 20-0 In Women World Cup Qualifier Late Norwich Equalizer Keeps Newcastle Winless

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (49,226 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (40,477 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (38,956 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (38,908 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (38,607 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (38,391 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (38,166 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (37,470 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (36,959 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (35,907 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (34,214 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (33,644 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (393) Basketball (263) Boxing (680) Columnists (650) Euro Soccer Update (12816) Fans Assembly (6) From the Grassroots (67) Golf (105) Interviews (16) Live Commentary (6) News (7535) NPL Glo Premier League (1299) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (10) Tennis (853)

 

 

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media