By Daily Sports on September 1, 2021
Antoine Griezmann is set to rejoin Atletico Madrid from Barcelona in a €10 million ($12 million) loan deal with an option to stay permanently for around €40m ($47m), multiple sources have told ESPN. Griezmann will sign a two-year contract with an optional third year at the Wanda Metropolitano, sources have told ESPN, and Atletico have made the striker aware they intend to make the move permanent next summer. The France international, 30, left Atletico for Barca in a €120m deal in 2019, but he struggled to live up to expectations at Camp Nou, scoring 22 league goals in two seasons. Barca will replace Griezmann with Sevilla FC striker Luuk de Jong on loan, sources have told ESPN. De Jong, 31, was first offered to Barca last week, but the club opted against making a move for the striker. Coach Ronald Koeman, who wanted a No. 9 even prior to Griezmann's departure, was in favour of pursuing a deal, but sporting directors Mateu Alemany and Ramon Planes were not convinced. However, as the clock ticked down Tuesday, Barca opened negotiations with Sevilla with the aim of bringing in the Dutch striker to add depth to their attack, which has now lost Lionel Messi and Griezmann this summer. Barcelona’s precarious financial situation left them willing to consider letting Griezmann go, with his salary understood to be around €20m per year. ESPN had reported that the club were previously willing to entertain swap deals involving Griezmann for either Saul Niguez or Joao Felix this summer. Instead, Saul leaves Atletico for Chelsea on a season-long loan which includes a permanent option afterward. Barca tried to sign Felix on loan Monday and returned on Tuesday with a proposal that would have seen Griezmann move in the other direction. However, Atletico’s board were unwilling to let the Portugal forward leave.
Griezmann first joined Atletico in the summer of 2014 from Real Sociedad. He won the Europa League with them in 2018 – the same year he helped France win the World Cup – and is fifth on the list of the club’s all-time scorers with 133 goals in five seasons.
Griezmann’s move to Barcelona was a drawn-out, controversial transfer saga. He came close to joining in 2018 before deciding to stay at Atletico – a process chronicled in a documentary produced with the player’s involvement called “The Decision” – before eventually completing the switch in July 2019.
Atletico were also angered by the revelation that talks with Barca had begun in March that year, while Griezmann was still competing for trophies with Atletico.
When Griezmann returned to the Wanda Metropolitano with Barca in December 2019, a section of Atletico Madrid fans chanted “Griezmann die” while a banner was also unfurled during the match with the words, “You wanted to have a name, and you forgot to be a man.”
De Jong is a surprise option to replace Griezmann, with sources telling ESPN that the club's priority in the final days was purely to reduce the wage bill. (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Antoine Griezmann
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 1, 2021
You may also like...
Onumonu’s brace gives Super Falcons victory over Cote...
Ugochukwu keen to emulate Mikel at Chelsea
NFF expresses shock over death of ‘Wonderboy’ Paul...
Arsenal, Man City, Everton, Leicester taste victory in...
Afini Avenges Defeat, Wins N1m Prize Money At...
GroupE THOP appoints three Distinguished Non-executive Directors to...

Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,400 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,728 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,215 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,597 views)