Koeman: Barca Must ‘Close The Book’ On Messi

By Daily sports on August 13, 2021

Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman believes the club must “close the book” on the Lionel Messi era after their talisman left to join Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain.

Messi, 34, signed a two-year deal with an option for a third year with Mauricio Pochettino’s side on Tuesday, and Koeman said it had been a difficult journey for all involved, as the Argentina superstar moved on from the club he joined as a 13-year-old in 2003.

“We have to understand that there is always an end for a player. You have to close the book because now we have to focus on this new season,” Koeman told ESPN's Martin Ainstein. “We have new players in and we have to move forward, and we have time for that. We have young players in the squad this season, and it's also for the future, we are working on the future of this club, and it’s really important to have our focus on this and not focus on what happened in the last few days.”

Messi looked set to re-sign with Barca in recent weeks, but due to a dire financial situation at the club and restrictions imposed on each LaLiga team by the league, he ultimately left to join former teammate Neymar at PSG.

“I knew there was a difficult situation between the club and Leo Messi and the league to have the possibilities to keep Messi in the club,” Koeman added. “It takes a long time, but I was also surprised by the day and the moment that I heard that he was finished playing for Barcelona. And I knew the financial situation of the club made it more difficult.

“I think it was difficult because we are not just talking about any player, we are talking about Leo Messi, the best player in the world through a lot of seasons and we were all disappointed that he will not play for us this season. But OK, you have to change fast because you don't stay in the disappointment with the new season starting. You have to understand it was for a few days a difficult situation.”

Koeman sounded optimistic about the start of the post-Messi era as he looked to continue to develop young players and anticipated the return of injured players from last season like Ansu Fati and Philippe Coutinho, while underscoring that Barcelona still have a strong squad.

“Of course we will have more difficulties to score goals,” Koeman said. “Messi scored 30 goals last season. So other players need to bring more and take the next step and it’s more about the team now than individual players.

“It’s not always one player, you have to do it together. Hopefully, we get players back from injury like Ansu Fati and Coutinho and then we still have a strong squad. We will work harder, we will do more to achieve what people expect from us.

“We are still in the transition. We have to understand that the start of this season is difficult. We still have COVID, for all the clubs, but still we have players with injuries so we cannot put all the players for playing because we are still missing good players. We did a good preseason, we have young players in, but if we get all the players back from injury the squad is still a strong one.” (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Ronald Koeman

 

Source Daily sports

Posted August 13, 2021


 

You may also like...
Osimhen emerges Best Young African Footballer of the...

Bayern Brush Aside Lyon To Book Champions League...

Ronaldo pays special visit to Sir Alex Ferguson...

Baraje faults NFF plans to hire foreign coach...

Serie A: Inter Milan hand Napoli first defeat...

Nwora To Compete For Nigeria’s FIBA World Cup...

 

Latest News Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,399 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,642 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,727 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,213 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,595 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media