Portsmouth Sack Three Academy Players Over Racist Abuse Of Sancho, Rashford, Saka

By Daily sports on July 29, 2021

Portsmouth have confirmed they have released three players from their academy system after they were accused of sending racist messages in a group chat.

The players were accused of racially abusing England players after the Euro 2020 final.

Following an internal investigation, Portsmouth confirmed on Wednesday night they had released the players in question.

The players will have the right to appeal the club’s decision should they choose to.

All members of the squad were suspended while the investigation was ongoing, and all those found not to have been involved were given the go-ahead to return to training last week.

England’s defeat against Italy on penalties was marred by the three penalty takers – Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho – all receiving torrents of vile racial abuse.

Allegations quickly surfaced on social media that members of the Pompey academy had racially abused the trio in a private group chat.

Portsmouth have now confirmed that, following an investigation, they have identified those responsible.

A club statement confirmed the decision as Portsmouth vowed to continue tackling discrimination within the football club and society as a whole.

The statement read: “Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that the investigation – and subsequent disciplinary process – into discriminatory messages that originated from an academy U18 private group chat has now concluded.

“We can confirm that a decision has been made today (July 28) to release three players from the academy. These players do have the right to appeal the club’s decision.

“Portsmouth Football Club are fully committed to the elimination of all forms of discrimination.

“We are part of a diverse community and are dedicated to promoting an environment of equality and inclusion at all times – both inside the football club and in our wider society.

“We also continue to respectfully appeal for everyone’s consideration in their use of social media posts directed towards any of the club's employees and any other external parties.”

Following the Euro 2020 final, racist abuse was aimed at Sancho, Rashford and Saka, leading to a public show of support.

Actor Jason Sudeikis wore a top with their names printed on the front at the premiere of his new show ‘Ted Lasso’, while numerous murals of the three have been put up around the country.

Prince William is said to have held talks with the three to offer his support. (The Express, UK)

•PHOTO: L-R; Abused England internationals Saka, Sancho and Rashford

Source Daily sports

Posted July 29, 2021


 

You may also like...
Benin FA holds elections despite court injuctions

Eagles held by Falcons in Portugal

Ivory Coast Need Two Penalties To Beat Niger...

Lagos agog as Onazi gets married

Messi treble saves Argentina WCup dream

Zambia game won't be easy, says Iheanacho

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,060 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,573 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media