Barcelona Contract Talks With Messi ‘Very Positive’

By Daily sports on May 28, 2021

Talks between Barcelona and Lionel Messi over a new contract are progressing satisfactorily with club president Joan Laporta having had a meeting with the player’s father and agent, sources told ESPN.

ESPN has confirmed a Catalan TV3 report that Messi has a first informal proposal on the table from Barca, one that Laporta presented to Jorge Messi during their meeting. The proposal showed the specific financial figures that the Catalan club are ready to pay the Argentinian to continue at the Camp Nou beyond this summer.

The meeting was “very positive,” a source told ESPN, but Messi, whose contract expires on June 30, wants to wait to find out about the club’s sporting project before making a decision.

ESPN reported last month that Barca president Laporta planned to offer Messi a two-year contract with an option to extend it an additional year to compensate for the wage reduction that the Barca captain would have to accept.

Should Messi agree, he will have the choice to decide whether to continue at Barca after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar or go to MLS.

Messi admitted last December that “his hope is to enjoy and experience life in the United States” and that idea is still in his mind.

According to TV3, Laporta’s final offer would be of a five-year contract but would also give the Argentinian the possibility to end his career in the United States before returning to Barcelona later on to take on a role as a club ambassador.

Sources close to the negotiations have told to ESPN that Messi’s first option has always been to remain at Barcelona and that he is aware that it would mean having to lower, considerably, his wages, which are currently €70 million net per season.

Nevertheless, the source insists that Messi will prioritise the sporting project over the financial proposal and Laporta is looking at different financial options to create a competitive team.

Barca have already assured themselves the signing of Eric Garcia as a free agent and hope in the coming days to confirm the signings of Sergio Aguero and Gini Wijnaldum. Aguero’s contract with Manchester City expires in June and he already has a verbal agreement to play at Barca for the next two seasons. Wijnaldum is expected to sign a three-year deal with Barca once the midfielder’s contract with Liverpool comes to an end next month.

Barca are also working on bringing more reinforcements and searching for a coach, despite the club not having ruled out the possibility that Ronald Koeman will continue for another season due to a lack of consensus at the club regarding possible replacements.

ESPN reported earlier this week that Roberto Martinez is among the candidates being evaluated by Barcelona. Laporta will hold a press conference on Friday to discuss the current situation at the club.

Messi, meanwhile, joined Argentina’s squad on Wednesday to prepare for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers and the Copa America.

Messi’s father will continue to lead negotiations with Barca in the coming weeks. (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Lionel Messi

 

Source Daily sports

Posted May 28, 2021


 

You may also like...
UFC Welterweight Champion, Kamaru Usman Arrives Nigeria, Launches...

Udi says Sunshine job is challenging

CHAN 2018: Nigeria on a wobbly start

Schalke Sack Coach Christian Gross, Entire Sporting Leadership...

Lennox Lewis tweets after Jarrell Miller disrespects Anthony...

Ansu Fati Ruled Out For Four Months After...

 

Latest News NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027 Rivers United won’t make last season’s mistake – Finidi Ocheme closes in on PFL Africa crown Oyede names Piety, Agboya, others for World Cup qualifiers Nigeria storm India for Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship Oshoala’s Bay FC set NWSL stadium record

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,310 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,478 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,467 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,065 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,047 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,046 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,860 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,411 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,517 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,125 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,560 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,982 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media