Wenger Calls For World Cup To Be Held Every Two Years

By Daily sports on March 17, 2021

Arsene Wenger wants to see the World Cup and European Championship played every two years and have Fifa “kick all the rest out”.

The ex-Arsenal boss, who is chief of global football development at Fifa, says the four-year wait between major tournaments is too long for players.

Wenger, 71, has previously called for Uefa’s Nations League to be scrapped to make room for the move.

“Organise only competitions of meaning,” he told beIN Sports.

“Kick all the parallel competitions out of the game. People must understand what is at stake and only have games with meaning.

“If you look at the teams in the World Cups usually the average age is 27 or 28. Because the World Cup is every four years there are very few chances to win it again because when they go back to the next World Cup they are 32 or 33.

“That’s why maybe we should organise the World Cup every two years.”

The World Cup has been held every four years since the inaugural tournament in 1930, except in 1942 and 1946 when it was not staged because of World War Two.

Likewise, the European Championship has taken place every four years since 1960, with the exception of Euro 2020 which was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

‘Players need holidays’

Wenger also wants football’s world governing body to seriously consider condensing qualifiers for major events, reducing the amount of international breaks needed during the season.

The Frenchman wants to see clear breaks for players incorporated into the international match calendar, which Fifa is due to start a review of this month.

“I believe it’s needed, with the physical resources that the players need today, it’s important that you have four weeks holiday,” he said.

“I would say that’s one of the solutions we will discuss is to compact the qualifiers.

“Instead of going away in October, November, September, March, June, we regroup the qualifiers all in one month or two quadruples in October and in February. At least the players can dedicate that time to the club from March until June, and we would gain four dates.”

Any changes to the international calendar would have to be passed by Fifa’s ruling council and possibly also a full congress of all federations. (BBC)

•PHOTO: Arsene Wenger

Source Daily sports

Posted March 17, 2021


 

You may also like...
Auba bags debut goal, Ramsey treble as Arsenal...

Commonwealth Games: Amusan arrives Team Nigeria camp

Toblow rues steady decline of athletics in the...

Amaju, NFF Board Under Intensive Pressure to Resign...

Neymar: Bottle-throwing fans must be punished

Corruption in NFF: Has the bubble finally burst?...

 

Latest News Edo Queens get home support ahead CAF qualifiers Nigerian Triathlon Union fixes Sept 30 for election Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces Ronaldo hits 977 career goals as Al Nassr thrash Al Riyadh 4-0 Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League Fury calls Joshua coward, casts doubts on super-fight My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,400 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,645 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,054 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,257 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,729 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,217 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,600 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media