By Daily sports on March 3, 2021
Defending champion Roger Federer has withdrawn from this month’s Miami Open as he works his way back to full fitness following surgeries to repair his right knee, US media reported on Monday.
The 39-year-old Swiss star, who has not played since losing in the semi-finals of last year’s Australian Open, is due to make his return from a year-long layoff at the Qatar Open in Doha next week.
However, the Miami Herald cited Federer’s agent Tony Godsick as saying on Monday that the 20-time Grand Slam singles champion had opted to skip the Miami tournament for scheduling reasons.
The Herald said Federer could play in Dubai after Doha but would then take a training break.
Federer’s withdrawal is a blow to organizers of the Miami tournament, who were forced to cancel last year’s event as Covid-19 chaos left sport in North America at a standstill.
The pandemic has already impacted the 2021 calendar, delaying the Australian Open and forcing the Indian Wells tournament in California – the traditional lead-in to the Miami Open – out of its usual slot in March.
Miami is still expected to feature a strong field despite Federer’s withdrawal, with world number one Novak Djokovic and 20-time Grand Slam-winner Rafael Nadal confirmed for the men’s draw.
Serena Williams and newly minted Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka are also slated to appear in the women’s draw. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Roger Federer
Source Daily sports
Posted March 3, 2021
You may also like...
Ronaldo Nets Hat-trick As Portugal Rout Luxembourg
Salisu Yusuf shops for replacement for Akas
Ebuehi joins Benfica on 5-year deal
Guardiola Says Pressure Will Bring Out Best in...
Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev is retiring from international...
Mbappe unveiled as Real Madrid player

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,873 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)