King Novak Faces ‘Challenger’ Medvedev In Aus Open Final

By Daily sports on February 21, 2021

Novak Djokovic says going unbeaten in eight Australian Open finals will give him confidence in Sunday's decider, but he’ll need more than that to overcome “the man to beat” – red-hot Russian Daniil Medvedev.

The Serbian world No 1 is into his ninth decider at Melbourne Park as he targets an 18th Slam title to close the gap on Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, who have 20 each.

It has been a rollercoaster ride to get there, with Djokovic uncharacteristically dropping five sets as he battled an abdominal injury that nearly forced him to pull out.

But after his semifinal, Djokovic said he was feeling better than at any time during the past fortnight as he prepares to defend his crown against a man on a 20-match unbeaten streak.

The Serb heads into the showpiece on Sunday evening with the phenomenal record of never losing a final on Melbourne’s famous blue courts in eight attempts spanning 13 years.

Djokovic will also be playing his 28th Grand Slam final, in contrast to the Russian's second.

But the 33-year-old, who swept past qualifier Aslan Karatsev in the semifinals, said while experience was clearly an advantage, Medvedev was also in electric form.

“Of course it contributes to more confidence, prior to coming into the finals knowing that I never lost in the finals or semifinals just makes me feel more comfortable being on the court,” he said.

“But each year is different, although it does have a mental effect on me. Maybe on my opponents, I don’t know, but on me it does definitely have a positive effect.

“But it’s not a decisive factor in the way the match is going to go forward, because each year is different.”

Medvedev is unbeaten since last November, including a straight-sets drubbing of the Serb at the ATP Finals in London, with Djokovic deeming him “the man to beat”.

“He’s just so solid. Also, I heard (commentator) Jim Courier calling him a master chess player because of the way he tactically positions himself on the court, and it’s true,” he said.

“You know, he’s definitely a very smart tennis player.”

‘HE’S THE FAVOURITE’

Medvedev, who has dropped just two sets so far, insisted that despite having all the momentum he was still the underdog.

“He’s the favourite because he didn't lose. On eight occasions that he was here in the semis he won the tournament,” said the 25-year-old.

“Me, I’m... the challenger, the guy that challenges the guy who was eight times in the final and won eight times. And I’m happy about it.

“I know that to beat him you need to just show your best tennis, be at your best physically maybe four or five hours, and be at your best mentally maybe for five hours,” he added.

Despite playing down his chances, Medvedev, who also reached the 2019 US Open final, losing to Nadal, has the weapons to trouble Djokovic, with a big serve, unrelenting returns and exceptional movement as he targets a maiden Grand Slam title.

Twelve of his 20 straight wins have been against top-10 players and he has won three of his last four against the 17-time Grand Slam-winning Serb.

“Playing Novak seven times already is just a huge experience,” he said.

“(But) I think when he’s in the zone he doesn’t miss. He goes down the line, cross, forehand, backhand, he doesn’t miss. That’s what is the toughest part of playing against him.” (AFP)

•PHOTO: Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev © Gallo Images

Source Daily sports

Posted February 21, 2021


 

You may also like...
SAFA vows to fight Bafana’s points deduction

Morocco stunned by lowly Comoros in AFCON Qualifier...

Buhari bags Glo/CAF Platinum Award, says, ‘Football loves...

Scoring For Man Utd A Dream Come True...

'Wenger’s impossible act to follow at Arsenal’

Man City Linked With Move For Boubacar Kamara...

 

Latest News Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,565 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,871 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,784 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,420 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,336 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,254 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,122 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,670 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,841 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,230 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media