By Daily sports on January 27, 2021
Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman said on Tuesday that he did not think his players were distracted by the club’s financial problems and called for “focus” when they visit Rayo Vallecano in the cup.
Koeman has recalled Lionel Messi to the squad for Wednesday’s round-of-16 trip to second-division Rayo after a two-match ban for a red card in the Spanish Super Cup final loss.
Koeman told a press conference that the Argentine was “looking forward to it” but refused to say if Messi would start.
“Leo is very keen to play and to win things, he is used to winning trophies, he is a winning player and wants to be in every game, tomorrow when we get there I will announce the team," said Koeman, adding that the ban has allowed Messi to rest.
“He’s in good spirits, fresh, not bothered, to win things we need a fit Messi.”
Barca released their financial report for the 2019/2020 season on Monday, which revealed debts of €1.173 billion including €730.6 million is short term, much of it outstanding instalments on player transfers.
Local media have reported that Barcelona have postponed to February the payment of player wages originally scheduled for December.
“I don’t know if it’s true, sometimes things come out in the press that are not true, I have to ask about it,” Koeman told a news conference.
He said the squad were concentrating on football.
“I’ve seen them focused on our work and I haven’t seen them worried about this issue,” said Koeman.
Barcelona needed extra time to eliminate third-tier Cornella in the previous round, the night after Real Madrid had been eliminated by another Segunda B club, Alcoyano.
“We’re playing a complicated game, against a complicated team and we have to be good, very focused and in the game to get through,” Koeman said.
“We have to work hard, put in the intensity and hopefully we can win without any problems,” said Koeman. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Lionel Messi
Source Daily sports
Posted January 27, 2021
You may also like...
Lennox Lewis ‘set to emerge from retirement’ for...
NFF requests 10, 000 tickets for first leg...
No Repeat Of ‘Final Eight’ In Future —...
Yakubu eyes England return, may sign for Coventry...
Rohr Picks Musa, Ekong, 22 Others For Cameroon...
Afcon 2021: Caf President Motsepe Says Next Month's...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,794 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,115 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,071 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,849 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,532 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,961 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)