By Daily sports on January 17, 2021
Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes has told Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to stop moaning about the number of penalties given to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
United have been awarded 20 penalties in the Premier League since the start of last season, while title rivals Liverpool have had just 10.
Klopp highlighted the large amount of United spot-kicks after his side had two penalty appeals turned down in their recent 1-0 defeat at Southampton.
United manager Solskjaer responded by saying Klopp and other Premier League bosses were trying to influence referees not to give his team penalties.
Now Fernandes has joined the United backlash ahead of Sunday’s crucial clash between the bitter rivals as the Portugal star said Klopp should quit complaining.
“You always see what people say, but I really don’t care. I’m not focused on what they’re saying. We have really quick players up front,” said Fernandes, who has scored 14 penalties for United.
“Anthony Martial is one of the best players one against one in the box, Marcus Rashford is another one who is quick and has quick feet, who can take the ball away from the defender at any moment.
“It’s normal that sometimes, because of that, they will be tripped and will fall and they gain penalties.
“People can talk and say what they want. But for me and the team, the main point is continuing to do the right things and when we get a penalty, just scoring.
“I played in Portugal and when you play for Sporting Lisbon, Benfica and Porto are always talking about that kind of stuff – sometimes to put pressure on the referee.”
United are top of the table – three points clear of Liverpool – at this stage of the season for the first time since their last title-winning campaign in 2013.
That was the last year of Alex Ferguson’s trophy-filled reign, but it is champions Liverpool who are the dominant force now.
Fernandes is key to United’s hopes of ending Liverpool’s spell as English football’s top dogs.
The 26-year-old has flourished since joining from Sporting Lisbon last January. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Bruno Fernandez
Source Daily sports
Posted January 17, 2021
You may also like...
NFF Technical Committee Chairman slams Oliseh
Maradona Returns to Argentina for Shoulder Treatment
Awaziem Helps Leganes Ease Relegation Fears
Adesanya KO one of the greatest ever –...
Wrestling: Onyebuchi, Genesis Depart For World Beach Games...
Man City Ready To Spend Big In Summer...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)