By Daily sports on December 11, 2020
Italy’s 1982 World Cup hero Paolo Rossi has died aged 64, his family says.
Rossi became a household name after leading the Azzurri to victory at the tournament in Spain, finishing as top scorer and being named best player.
At club level he first came to prominence as a prolific scorer for Vicenza, earning a move to Juventus and later playing for AC Milan.
His death was announced on Thursday, following what Italian media report had been a long illness.
Rossi’s wife Federica Cappelletti posted a picture of them together on social media with the words “Per sempre” (“forever”).
She did not disclose the cause of his death.
Rossi scored 20 goals in 48 appearances for the Italian national side, and more than 100 Serie A goals during spells with Vicenza, Perugia, Juventus, Milan and Verona.
Following his performances at the 1982 World Cup, he was awarded the Ballon d’Or which at the time was given to the European footballer of the year.
After retiring from football in the late 1980s, Rossi worked as a pundit for Sky, Mediaset and Rai.
The Italian football federation (FIGC) said flags would fly at half-mast at its headquarters in Rome and its technical centre in Florence.
“Pablito’s passing away is another moment of deep pain, a wound to the heart of all fans that is difficult to heal,” said FIGC president Gabriele Gravina.
“We’ve lost a friend and an icon of Italian football.
“In spurring the national team on to success in 1982, he had Italians celebrating in squares across the country, both for him and with him.
“He indelibly tied his name to the Azzurri and, through his style of play, inspired numerous strikers of future generations.”
European football’s governing body, Uefa, said “a moment of silence” would be held before Thursday’s Europa League matches to honour the player. (BBC)
•PHOTO: Paolo Rossi
Source Daily sports
Posted December 11, 2020
You may also like...
RC Lens to decide on Lukman Haruna
Caf Rejects Wydad Appeal Over Champions League Final...
Sarri Not Intimidated By Rome Rival Mourinho’s Successes...
Manchester City defender John Stones to miss Goodison...
Lagos City Marathon organisers target platinum label
Oshoala Rolls Out Plans To Inspire Nigerian Girls...

D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,106 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,059 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,448 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,029 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,401 views)