By Daily sports on November 17, 2020
Sergio Ramos has cancelled a news conference he was due to hold ahead of Spain's match with Germany to avoid adding to speculation about his Real Madrid future, sources have told ESPN.
The national team captain was due to speak to the media in Seville on Monday alongside coach Luis Enrique, the day before a UEFA Nations League game which Spain must win to progress to the competition’s final phase.
Spain’s football federation confirmed on Monday that Ramos – who missed two penalties in Spain’s 1-1 draw with Switzerland on Saturday – would be replaced by Manchester City midfielder Rodri.
Sources told ESPN that Ramos preferred to focus on the Germany match and the player himself had chosen not to appear at the news conference.
There was a concern that the defender would face repeated questioning about his contractual situation at Real Madrid, which could feed rumours about his future and even affect negotiations with the club.
There has been persistent speculation over Ramos’ next move at club level.
His Real Madrid contract expires in June 2021, meaning that he will be free to speak to rival clubs from Jan. 1.
ESPN reported at the start of November that the parties had begun initial talks about a renewal, with both intending to reach an agreement on an extension.
The stumbling block has been the structure of that new deal as Ramos, 34, would like to stay at the Bernabeu until 2024.
Sources have told ESPN the club would not be opposed to that, but are yet to decide whether to push for year-on-year extensions, as tends to be the case for players over 30, or make an exception for Ramos given his special status.
Real Madrid’s financial situation, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the redevelopment of the Bernabeu, is also a factor and it would benefit the club to postpone certain payments until a later date.
ESPN reported last week that the club had decided to present a second set of pay cuts to the first team squad after an initial round were agreed in April, once this season’s budget had been approved. (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Sergio Ramos
Source Daily sports
Posted November 17, 2020
You may also like...
Chapecoense plane crash: Thousands of fans hold vigil...
Sterling Shines As Man City Spank Aston Villa...
Ozil demands £330,000-a-week pay
Aguero Makes History As Man City Spank Aston...
I Have Not Disrespected Bale, Says Zidane
Brook wants Cotto fight

Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,400 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,728 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,215 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,597 views)