By Daily Sports on September 17, 2020
German amateur side SG Ripdorf/Molzen II sacrificed a tight defence for social distancing as they fielded only seven players as a coronavirus precaution in a 37-0 loss.
The preparations for Sunday’s match against local rivals SV Holdenstedt II in Lower Saxony’s 3. Kreisklasse —- the 11th tier of German football —- were complicated.
That was when it emerged that Holdenstedt players had been in contact with an opponent infected with COVID-19 in a previous match.
While all members of the Holdenstedt squad later tested negative for the virus, Ripdorf, from Uelzen in Lower Saxony, did not feel the conditions were safe.
They were able to field only seven players —- the minimum number required for a match.
“We are thankful those seven players volunteered, otherwise the club would have faced a 200 euros (235.88 dollars) fine for abandoning the match,” Ripdorf co-chair Patrick Ristow said.
“That’s a lot of money for us, especially amid the pandemic.”
Holdenstedt showed no mercy and scored a goal nearly every two minutes, while their opponents watched on from a safe distance.
“When the game kicked off, one of our players passed the ball to the opponent and our team walked to the sidelines,” Ristow said.
“The Holdenstedt players did not understand. But we did not want to risk anything. For the rest of the match, our players returned to the field but they only stood on the pitch.”
The match result has since created a stir on social media`, but Ristow said Ripdorf only focused on what was best for the well-being of all the players on the pitch.
“There is no perfect solution for it. And we went down this route,” he added. “We wished Holdenstedt no harm.” (Reuters/NAN)
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 17, 2020
You may also like...
CSED Feeds 5,000 IDPs, Donates Food Items, Netball...
UCL: Barca face United as City battle Tottenham...
Mane Sets Super Cup Record with Brace
Lobi Stars eclipse Sundowns in CAF Champions League...
Ocampos Fires Sevilla Into Copa Del Rey Semis...
Pinnick to Nigerian Strikers: Fight for EPL Golden...

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,874 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,843 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)