Suarez Desperate To Stay At Barcelona, Would Accept Bench Role

By Daily sports on August 23, 2020

Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has said he is desperate to remain at the club and would even be willing to accept a backup role.

Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu said this week that the squad would undergo a plethora of changes this summer which would mean saying goodbye to some “club legends”.

Bartomeu named several players that would not be allowed to leave on the back of the 8-2 Champions League quarterfinal defeat to Bayern Munich, including the frustrated Lionel Messi, but didn’t mention Suarez, who has a contract until 2021.

Suarez, 33, called on the club to tell him directly if they want him out and said that until that is the case he will fight for his Camp Nou future.

“There is talk about the names mentioned by the president and about changes that could happen, but no one at the club has told me they want to get rid of me,” the Uruguay international told El Pais.

“If that is what the club want, it would be nice if the decision-makers communicated that to me. It is better that way than leaking names. I want the best for the team and my intention is to stay.

“Throughout my career, I have accepted being on the bench. I still think I have a lot to give but I wouldn’t have any problem if that were to be the case here next season.”

“Competition for places is healthy and if the new coach [Ronald Koeman] feels I should be a substitute, then I would have no problem with that.”

Suarez, who has been at Barcelona for six years and recently became the club's third top goalscorer of all time with 198 goals, also had a message for those that have suggested his time at the top level is up.

“I don’t like to compare but I remember when Ajax knocked Real Madrid out of the Champions League and they said [Toni] Kroos was finished, [Sergio] Ramos was a disaster and they wanted to retire [Luka] Modric,” he added.

“Then, this season, everything went better and they are all brilliant again and part of a legendary team. Of course, they were and are a good team, but everyone takes potshots when you lose.”

Bartomeu’s interview last week inferred that a number of the club’s older players, including Suarez, Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, Ivan Rakitic and Sergio Busquets were on the transfer list. (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Luis Suarez

Source Daily sports

Posted August 23, 2020


 

You may also like...
Nigeria: Ato Boldon, Lewis Johnson to Analyse Asaba...

African Games: Egypt extend lead, Nigeria in distant...

Tokyo 2020: Minister Assures Athletes Of Support

Kano Pillars And Plateau United Crash Out Of...

Nigeria book ITTF World Championships spot

AC Milan Suffer Record €146 Nillion Losses

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,788 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,425 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media