FIFA Boss Infantino Faces Criminal Probe

By Dailysports on July 31, 2020

Criminal proceedings have been opened against FIFA president Gianni Infantino by a special prosecutor looking into dealings between the head of the global soccer body and Swiss Attorney General Michael Lauber, Swiss authorities said on Thursday.

The special prosecutor Stefan Keller, appointed last month to review complaints against the two men and others, had found indications of criminal conduct related to their meetings [nL8N2EA3BE], according to the AB-BA watchdog which oversees the Attorney General’s Office.

“This concerns abuse of public office, breach of official secrecy, assisting offenders and incitement to these acts,” the watchdog said in a statement. Both Lauber and Infantino have denied wrongdoing.

FIFA said in a statement that it would cooperate fully while Infantino said that it was “perfectly legitimate and perfectly legal” to meet the Swiss Attorney General. “It’s not a violation of anything,” he said.

“It has been my aim from day one, and it remains my aim, to assist the authorities with investigating past wrongdoings at FIFA,” he added. “FIFA officials have met with prosecutors in other jurisdictions across the world for exactly these purposes.”

Infantino was elected in 2016 to replace disgraced Sepp Blatter, who also become the subject of criminal proceedings in 2015.

Blatter, suspected of criminal mismanagement, was banned by FIFA’s own ethics committee although the investigations against him are still ongoing and he has not been charged. He denies wrongdoing.

On being elected, Infantino promised to clean up FIFA and to put the focus back on football.

FIFA was embroiled in the worst corruption scandal in its history in 2015 which led to several officials being indicted in the United States on corruption-related charges.

Lauber last week offered to resign after the Federal Administrative Court concluded he had covered up a meeting with Infantino and lied to supervisors while his office investigated corruption surrounding soccer’s governing body. [nL5N2EV2W7].

The court said he had made “implausible” statements about a meeting with Infantino.

While Lauber had acknowledged two meetings with Infantino in 2016, he had denied a third meeting reported by media to have occurred in 2017, prompting a disciplinary probe by the agency that supervises the attorney general’s office.

He later said he did not recall the third meeting but that it must have occurred based on diary entries and text messages.

Lauber officially tendered his resignation on Tuesday, his office said, with his last day of active duty set for Aug. 31.

The AB-BA watchdog said Keller had now opened proceedings against both Infantino and regional public prosecutor Rinaldo Arnold who was involved in the meetings, and was seeking parliamentary approval to have Lauber’s immunity from prosecution waived.

“I take note of the fact that a lawsuit has been opened. This is actually a logical step to clarify the facts,” Arnold told Reuters. “It should be mentioned that a case against me was closed last spring last year.” (Reuters)

 

Source Dailysports

Posted July 31, 2020


 

You may also like...
NFF’s attempts to recall Victor Moses should be...

Mourinho Frustrated As Spurs Let Lead Slip Again...

Brazil crush S’Korea 4-1 to reach W’Cup quarter-finals...

Tanzania appoint former Nigeria winger Amuneke as head...

Woods says he was impressed by Trump's golf...

Ronaldo’s Sister Slams Sarriball At Juventus

 

Latest News Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat Chelle eyes foreign Eagles to strengthen Nigerian team Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival 56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,562 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,868 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,779 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,418 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,333 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,252 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,120 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,668 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,838 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,368 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,760 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,228 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media