By Daily Sports on July 16, 2020
Borussia Dortmund announced Wednesday they had cancelled the contract of Andre Schuerrle by mutal consent a year early after the 2014 World Cup winner failed to make his mark in four years at the Bundesliga runners-up.
It was Schuerrle’s cross in extra time during the 2014 World Cup final which Mario Goetze volleyed home to seal Germany’s 1-0 win over Argentina.
The 29-year-old Schuerrle joined Dortmund from Wolfsburg in 2016 for 30 million euros ($34 million), but failed to hold down a first-team place.
He was loaned out to Spartak Moscow last season after spending 2018/19 at Fulham.
“Looking back, it was a time with ups and downs, but also with many valuable experiences,” said Schuerrle.
He is now without a club despite 57 appearances for Germany and 22 goals, including two in the historic 7-1 thrashing of hosts Brazil in the semi-finals of the 2014 World Cup.
His last international appearance was in 2017 and in the last four years, Schuerrle managed only 51 games and eight goals for Dortmund.
As the transfer window opened in Germany on Wednesday and closes on October 5, Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke told website Sport1: “It definitely wasn’t a success story for either side.
“For this reason, it was better to cancel the contract prematurely.”
Schuerrle’s departure follows that of Goetze, who left Dortmund last month when his contract expired and neither party sought an extension.
Goetze failed to impress head coach Lucien Favre as Dortmund finished second to Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Andre Schuerrle
Source Daily Sports
Posted July 16, 2020
You may also like...
Adarabioyo pens new deal of £25,000-a-week for Man...
LATEST FOOTBALL RESULTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
Guardiola hints at Iheanacho’s City exit
Nigeria vs Zambia: Security advisor urges fans to...
Nadal, Djokovic win but Cilic out
LMC, FIRS partner on Tax Education Campaign at...

Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,033 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,390 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,281 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,881 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,758 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,635 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,531 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,041 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,251 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,719 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)