By Daily Sports on April 10, 2020
Formula 1 could still hold a world championship this year even if the season cannot start until October, managing director Ross Brawn says.
Brawn said F1 was looking at closed-door races as a way to start the season once the coronavirus crisis eases and “every permutation is being discussed”.
F1 must run eight races for a season to be classed as a world championship.
“If you wanted a drop-dead point (deadline), it would be October,” Brawn said.
“But then there’s always the possibility we could run into next year, and that’s being explored – could we stray into January to finish the season.”
Brawn, talking to Sky, said there was no point starting the season unless it could be kept going and pointed out that races on permanent circuits were easier to re-schedule than those on temporary tracks such as street circuits.
The Monaco Grand Prix has already cancelled permanently this year, while the other eight races called off so far have only been postponed, with the hope of rescheduling them later on.
Brawn said he believed the 2020 season could include anywhere between eight and 19 races and that plans for how to approach a season were changing almost every day. “It’s a very dynamic and volatile situation,” he said.
An F1 spokesman said Brawn views October as the final possible starting date for a season that contains eight races and finishes before the end of the year.
To get 19 races into the schedule, the season would have to start in July with the likelihood of running into January 2021.
“We’re looking at the logistics of a closed race, how we would get the people there, how we would protect them, how we would make it safe,” Brawn said.
“We could have a very enclosed environment where the teams come in on charters (flights), we channel them into the circuit, we make sure everyone’s tested, cleared, there’s no risk to anyone and we have a race without spectators.
“That’s not great but I think it’s still better than no racing at all.” (BBC)
•PHOTO: Formula One car
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 10, 2020
You may also like...
Amusan drops to third in world rankings
Amuzie seals victory for Dream Team VI in...
‘Neymar cleared in tax evasion case’
MFM FC holds Rangers in NPFL cracker
Odion Ighalo Scores in Shanghai Shenhua’s Loss to...
Nadal unsure of Wimbledon participation after French Open...

Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,391 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,282 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,883 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,636 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,046 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,723 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,585 views)