German Bundesliga Suspended Over Coronavirus

By Daily Sports on March 14, 2020

The German football league on Friday halted first division Bundesliga games with immediate effect over the coronavirus pandemic, the first such suspension since World War II.
“Given the developments of today with new coronavirus infections and suspected cases directly linked to the Bundesliga and the 2nd division, the German Football League has decided at short notice to postpone today’s matches,” said the league in a statement.
All five of Europe’s top leagues have now been suspended, with top-flight officials in France and England making similar announcements earlier on Friday.
Spain’s La Liga postponed fixtures for two weeks on Thursday, while Italy’s Serie A was put on hold until April 3 at the start of the week.
The German league said it would plan to hold a meeting with clubs during the international break at the end of March to evaluate the situation and take further decisions if necessary.
“The goal is still to get to the end of the season before the summer, for sporting reasons, but also because a permanent stoppage to the season would put the survival of certain clubs in danger,” league officials said.
An extension of the season into June would require postponing Euro 2020, which is due to start June 12. European football's governing body will hold a crisis meeting next Tuesday to determine the fate of the tournament. (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Bundesliga players 

Source Daily Sports

Posted March 14, 2020


 

You may also like...
Oshoala has done wonders in women’s football –...

Super Eagles Top Job: Foreign Agents Troop Into...

Embattled Chris Giwa whisked away and interrogated by...

Monaco sign Pele to fill Fabinho void

Omeruo Informs Leganes Of Desire To Leave

Lukaku Sets Europa League Goals Record In Inter...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,060 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,573 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media