By Daily Sports on March 11, 2020
The Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.
A FIGC statement confirmed that Serie A would stop until 3 April following a government decree issued on Monday.
FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season cannot be concluded.
They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.
Play-offs would take place to determine the champions, European qualification and the three clubs to be relegated to Serie B.
But if the title winner is decided by the current standings then Juventus would be Italian champions for a ninth straight season, having gone back above Lazio with a 2-0 win over third-placed Inter Milan on Sunday.
Five games took place on Sunday before Sassuolo won 3-0 against Brescia on Monday, with all matches taking place behind closed doors.
As it stands, there are 12 full rounds of matches still to be played, plus another four fixtures which have been postponed, and the second leg of the Coppa Italia semi-finals.
The alternatives are due to be discussed at a meeting of the federal council on 23 March.
Should the season resume, it was also proposed at Tuesday's meeting that clubs take advantage of all available dates until 31 May.
The last season that Serie A did not have a champion was 2004-05, when Juventus were stripped of the title following the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal.
The title winner was previously decided by a play-off in 1964, when Bologna beat Inter Milan after the two sides finished level on points. (BBC)
•PHOTO: Juventus players
Source Daily Sports
Posted March 11, 2020
You may also like...
Jeremie Boga Is Not For Sale – Sassuolo...
Fury Says Fight vs. Joshua To Take Place...
Joseph Parker saved by referee in fight against...
Pogba Launches Own Anti-Racism Protest
CAFCL: Oyowah’s lone goal seals Remo progress
Aubameyang To Serve Three-Match Suspension After Appeal Is...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,796 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,116 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,850 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,534 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)