By Daily Sports on January 1, 1970
Five Serie A matches which had been scheduled to go ahead behind closed doors this weekend, including the key clash between Juventus and Inter Milan, have been postponed because of the coronavirus crisis, Italy’s soccer League said on Saturday.
All five games, which also include AC Milan v Genoa, Parma v Spal, Sassuolo v Brescia and Udinese v Fiorentina, will now be played on May 13, Serie A said in a statement. The Coppa Italia final, due to be played May 13, was moved to May 20.
The matches had been due to go ahead behind closed doors after the government banned public gatherings in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
However, a soccer official, speaking off the record, said broadcasters and fans did not want the matches to be played in empty stadiums and the clubs themselves were concerned about the loss of gate receipts.
Nearly 900 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Italy, and cafes and schools have been closed as daily life has ground to a halt.
Serie A said in a statement that the decision was made “considering the succession of numerous urgent regulatory interventions by the Government to respond to this extraordinary emergency to protect public health and safety.”
Four matches were cancelled last weekend including Inter Milan’s home game against Sampdoria and the club’s chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said they were running out of dates for rescheduling games.
He added that the situation would be even more complicated if a government ban on sporting events in six regions of the country was extended beyond Sunday.
“As a citizen, and this being an emergency situation, I have great respect for measures to protect the health of everyone but as a sports manager, I am very concerned, especially looking at such a tight schedule of commitments,” he said.
He called for an emergency meeting of the league and clubs “because there are many and delicate issues to discuss and they must safeguard the balance and competitiveness of our championship”.
Marotta said that playing behind closed was not ideal but could be the only solution.
“This could certainly have been resolved sooner, without arriving at last-minute decisions. Everything could have been handled better,” he added.
Five Serie A matches will go ahead as planned – Lazio-Bologna and Napoli-Torino on Saturday, Lecce-Atalanta and Cagliari-Roma on Sunday and Sampdoria-Verona on Monday. (Reuters)
Source Daily Sports
Posted March 1, 2020
You may also like...
FIFA Council discusses vision for the future of...
Achraf Hakimi Unsure Of His Future
Family Mourn Sala after Body in Channel Wreckage...
Portugal names Roberto Martinez new coach
Tottenham Sign Giovani Lo Celso On Permanent Deal...
Shareef O’Neal, Shaq’s son, out for season with...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)