By Daily Sports on February 11, 2020
La Liga referee Jose Maria Sanchez Martinez has not been allocated a game next weekend by the Spanish football federation following his officiating of the fixture between Real Betis and Barcelona on Sunday in which he angered both teams.
The Spanish champions won 3-2 at the Benito Villamarin in a thrilling match the official seemed to lose control of, sending off Clement Lenglet and Nabil Fekir but not dismissing Sergi Roberto or awarding Lionel Messi a penalty.
Fekir was sent off for two bookings in the space of a few seconds, one for a foul and the other for dissent. Lenglet followed but Betis were angry that Sergi Roberto, who had already been booked, was let off after scything down Carles Alena.
“How can that not be a second yellow for Sergi Roberto’s foul on Alena?” asked Betis coach Rubi. “Barcelona should have been left with 10 men, there’s no doubt about it.”
Real Betis’ vice-president Jose Miguel Lopez Catalan also criticised the officials after the game. “We are indignant and angry because once again refereeing has hurt Betis and it has not been fair,” he said.
Barcelona had complaints too, with Messi pulled back in the area at the end but Sanchez Martinez did not point to the spot.
“In the end we could have won by more goals, if you look at the penalty they didn’t give Messi,” said Barca midfielder Frenkie de Jong. “It was clear, they pushed him over.” (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Jose Maria Sanchez
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 11, 2020
You may also like...
Messi ‘Really Excited’ To Be Back For Barcelona...
Barca lose to Levante in Spanish league Cup...
Zambia target maiden U20 AFCON title •South Africa...
Barca Close To Completing Triple Chelsea Raid
Erling Haaland hits double as Pep Guardiola's side...
Kovac To Be Sacked By Bayern Munich

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,530 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,959 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)