By Daily Sports on January 29, 2020
Chelsea have identified Leicester defender Ben Chilwell and Ajax midfielder Hakim Ziyech as priority summer transfer targets, sources have told ESPN, but the club are facing defeat in their attempts to sign Napoli forward Dries Mertens.
Manager Frank Lampard has been given the green light to rebuild his squad in the summer, with substantial funds available following the lifting of the club's two-window transfer ban.
And Chilwell, 23, and Morocco international Ziyech are top of Lampard’s hit-list as he attempts to replace title-winning left-back Marcos Alonso and add more creativity to his team’s attacking options.
Sources have told ESPN that Lampard had been keen to sign Belgium striker Mertens this month, but the 32-year-old has shown little appetite to leave Napoli, who have placed a prohibitive £40 million price tag on the former PSV Eindhoven forward.
While Chelsea could renew their interest in Mertens at the end of the season, efforts will initially focus on overcoming interest from Manchester City and Manchester United in England full-back Chilwell.
The £80m-rated full-back is expected to make Gareth Southgate’s squad for Euro 2020 and Lampard believes he could offer Chelsea the stability and quality at left-back that they have lacked since Ashley Cole’s departure in 2014.
United are also eyeing a move for Ziyech, but Chelsea have moved ahead of the Old Trafford outfit in the race to sign the Netherlands-born Moroccan. (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Hakim Ziyech
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 29, 2020
You may also like...
Mourinho’s Real Madrid Return Killed by Ramos and...
Wolves Held At Home By Leicester After VAR...
Why I left Real Madrid — Cristiano Ronaldo...
Hail King Silva of Man City!
Simeone may extend Atletico stay
Man Utd Announce Support Package To Aid NHS...

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,875 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,843 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)