Why I Turned Down Barcelona Offer: Xavi

By Daily Sports on January 17, 2020

Xavi Hernandez has confirmed he turned down an offer to coach Barcelona as it is "too soon" in his managerial career.

The Barcelona legend was considered for the position after the club sacked Ernesto Valverde on Monday.

Soccer's Money League: Ridiculous ads that make cash for the top-10 clubs

Barcelona appointed Quique Setien as Valverde's replacement after Xavi, who is coach of Qatari team Al-Sadd, declined the offer to return to the club where he won the Champions League four times and La Liga on eight occasions.

Speaking ahead of his team's game against Al Duhail in Friday's Qatar Cup final, Xavi said: "Yes, I received an offer from Barcelona in the presence of [Barca sporting director] Eric Abidal and [Barca chief executive] Oscar Grau here in Doha but I did not accept it, especially because it's too soon for me to coach Barcelona. But it will continue to be a dream of mine in the future to manage Barca."

A World Cup winner with Spain in 2010, Xavi came through Barca's academy and made 855 senior appearances for the club.

He joined Al-Sadd as a player in 2015 before being unveiled as coach last July. The 39-year-old is tied to Al-Sadd until June.

"First I told my family and then [the] players because they had been monitoring the situation," Xavi said of his decision to turn down Barca. "For the past three days I wasn't in the best position but now I'm fully focused on Al-Sadd."

Xavi said Barca have made the right choice in appointing Setien.

Setien, 61, has been out of work since leaving Real Betis last summer and has signed a contract until 2022.

"I love Barca's new coach," Xavi said. "I love the way he works and I hope he has success with the team." (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Xavi Hernandez 

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 17, 2020


 

You may also like...
Jose Mourinho in trouble for swearing

De Bruyne Left Out Of Belgium Squad

Charlo KOs Lubin in first round

Enyimba, Heartland in tricky road games

Chelsea agree £70m Morata fee

Nations Cup: 20 Players Light Up S’Eagles Camp...

 

Latest News Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,640 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,048 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media