By Daily Sports on January 10, 2020
World number one Ashleigh Barty lost her first match of the year as she was beaten by qualifier Jennifer Brady at the Brisbane International.
Australia’s Barty, who had a first-round bye, lost 6-4 7-6 (7-4) to Brady in the second round.
Barty did not create a break point during the match and won just one point on the American’s first serve.
Brady, who beat Maria Sharapova in the first round in Brisbane, will play fifth seed Petra Kvitova next.
Czech Kvitova, who reached the Australian Open final in 2019, breezed past Russia’s Liudmila Samsonova 6-3 6-2 in 61 minutes.
Barty was knocked out in the first round in her previous appearance at Brisbane in 2018.
The 23-year-old said she did not feel any extra pressure because of her top ranking.
“It doesn’t change the way that I practise. It doesn’t change me as a person,” Barty said.
“I think that you guys [journalists] enjoy the fact that you get something to write about and you have something to talk about.
“So hopefully I make it interesting for you, but I don’t look at it beyond that.”
Serena Williams fought back from a set down to beat fellow American Christina McHale and reach the quarter-finals of the Auckland Classic.
Williams, who reached the doubles semi-finals with Caroline Wozniacki on Wednesday, eventually came through 3-6 6-2 6-3.
“I really need to play matches like that to get to my goals,” the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion said.
“Tournament time is super important. After losing that first set I’m just glad to be still in the event.”
Williams has also put a dress she wore earlier in the week up for auction to raise money for the bushfire relief fund in Australia.
She will face Laura Siegemund next after the German beat 15-year-old Coco Gauff 5-7 6-2 6-3.
American Gauff jokingly told off her father and coach, Corey, for swearing during an on the court during a change of ends. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Serena Williams of the US celebrates her win against Christina Mchale of the US during their women’s singles match during the Auckland Classic tennis tournament in Auckland on January 9, 2020. (Photo by MICHAEL BRADLEY / AFP)
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 10, 2020
You may also like...
Osaka wins on first Wimbledon appearance since 2019...
Cricket’s golden girl Etim retires after Ghana heroics...
Manchester United confirms Solskjaer as caretaker manager
De Gea Hoping For ‘Many More Years’ At...
Ike Ugbo: Why I Chose Super Eagles Over...
Ndidi To Start Against Liverpool In Today’s EPL...

Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,788 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,067 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,287 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,031 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,528 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,957 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)