By Daily Sports on May 3, 2019
Fernando Alonso will leave the World Endurance Championship after the end of the current season.
The former Formula 1 champion’s Toyota team said he would “explore new adventures within the Toyota family”, without explaining what those might be.
Alonso tested a Dakar Rally-winning Toyota Hilux in March and has been linked with an attempt at the iconic desert-based endurance event in 2020.
The two-time F1 champion is also seeking to win the Indianapolis 500.
That would complete motorsport’s unofficial ‘Triple Crown’ of Monaco Grand Prix and/or F1 world title, Le Mans 24 Hours and Indy 500 and make him only the second man in history after Graham Hill to do that.
The 37-year-old won Le Mans with Toyota last year and is racing at Indy for a second time with a new McLaren team this month.
Alonso, who has two more races to complete with Toyota at Spa in Belgium this month and Le Mans next, said he had “enjoyed” racing for the team but added: “This chapter is ending.
“Winning Le Mans is one of the highlights of my career as part of my Triple Crown challenge and I will always remember that victory, which we achieved together as a team last year.”
Alonso, who also has an advisory role at McLaren, said at the Bahrain Grand Prix last month that he was not planning an F1 comeback – but could not completely rule it out.
“My idea is not to come back,” he said. “When I said last year bye-bye, it was because I felt this chapter was already complete. Coming back is not in the plan.
“But if something happens and a great opportunity arrives, I will probably consider it. I don’t close any doors to anything in the future.”
Alonso will be replaced in the Toyota team by New Zealander Brendon Hartley, who has won the World Endurance Championship twice with Porsche, and had an ill-fated F1 season with Toro Rosso last year. (BBC)
•Photo shows Fernando Alonso
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 3, 2019
You may also like...
Arsenal Trounce Tottenham As Resurgence Continues
Winning Nations Cup Is Mission Possible For Senegal---Mane...
Agali advises Musa to seek playing time outside...
Jesus Navas completes Sevilla return following Man City...
France's 'luck' continues as Mbappe struggles with mask...
Ambrose expects permanent Hibs deal

Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,640 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,049 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)