By Daily Sports on February 15, 2019
Anthony Joshua will make his American debut on June 1 after agreeing to defend his world heavyweight titles against Jarrell Miller in New York.
The WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO champion has ditched his date at Wembley in April to cross the pond and face Miller, who is undefeated as a professional.
Joshua had hoped to seal a fight with Deontay Wilder, but turned to Miller after the WBC heavyweight champion pursued a rematch with Tyson Fury.
He said: “June 1 I’ll be travelling to MSG. New York City, the Big Apple,” Joshua said in a video posted to social media.
“I’m there to take a bite out of that and I’ll be competing against Jarrell Miller. Wembley is so close to my heart, it’s a great spot, a great location. I’ve fought in small halls, I’ve fought in arenas. And it’s been a humbling and a blessing to fight in those stadiums.
“But now it’s time for a change. The current state of the division was the undisputed championship of the world.
“Myself and [Deontay] Wilder are the current active champions of the world. We were looking to get that fight on April 13 but things happened, boxing politics, I’m sure you guys are aware.
“So we had to branch out and look for other options. Miller came up. It’s an exciting fight, he’s an undefeated heavyweight.”
Joshua will take on Miller at the iconic Madison Square Garden on June 1 – the same day that the Champions League final happens in Madrid, Spain.
Miller, whose nickname is ‘Big Baby’, is not recognised as one of the world’s leading heavyweights but has been in contention to fight Joshua for the past year.
In another social media video, Joshua said: “The time has come to head across the Atlantic and defend my heavyweight titles in the USA.
“I will be fighting at the legendary Madison Square Garden. I plan to embrace the culture and leave with an appetite for more.”
Miller, 30, is undefeated in 24 professional fights. He said: “AJ is making a huge mistake coming over here to fight me in my own back yard.” (Guardian)
•Photo shows Anthony Joshua
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 15, 2019
You may also like...
Conte insists Osimhen not part of Napoli’s plans...
Rio Olympics heroes raise alarm over $390,000 Japanese...
Flying Eagles keeper Aniagboso joins Ukrainian club
Kieran Trippier: Defender Did Not Loin Newcastle United...
‘United better than last year’
Of Fatai’s Dismissal, Finidi’s Coming And A Victory-Hungry...

Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,067 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,529 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,957 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)