By Daily Sports on January 14, 2019
Egypt’s sports ministry and Football Federation on Sunday outlined their bid to be ready for the Africa Cup of Nations which starts on 15 June.
Egypt took over as hosts for the 2019 tournament last week after Cameroon was stripped of the event due to infrastructure delays and political instability.
“It is with great joy but a huge sense of responsibility that we embark on four or five months of serious hard work,” sports minister Achraf Sobhi said on Sunday. “A supreme committee will be set up to oversee things.”
Sobhi also revealed that the opening ceremony and first match would take place in the 74,000 capacity Cairo International Stadium which was renovated before Egypt hosted the 2006 edition.
Egyptian Prime Minister Moustafa Madbouli said this weekend that work had begun at the stadium to replace the pitch.
Football Federation president Hany Abou Rida said he had every confidence the country would deliver a tournament to make the nation proud.
Authorities have already named eight stadiums they feel are ready to use in Cairo, Alexandria, Ismaila and Suez.
“In fact we have the means to stage matches in seven regions,” football federation official Magdi Abdelghani said Sunday.
The North African country has experience in mass tourism, has a multitude of hotels, two international airports, in Cairo and near Alexandria, and a road network linking the main cities. (Goal)
•Photo shows AFCON Trophy
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 14, 2019
You may also like...
Australian Open 2017: Murray, Konta lead British challenge...
Portugal names Roberto Martinez new coach
Live English Premier League Broadcasts •Arsenal's Prospects for...
Wilder says he is faster and stronger than...
Tinubu gifts D’Tigress $100k each, flats, OON
Osimhen Opens Transfer Talks With Napoli

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,609 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,187 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,509 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,635 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)