Valverde says Barca future depends on winning trophies

By Daily Sports on January 6, 2019

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said on Saturday he was open to staying at the club beyond this season but will wait until the end of the campaign to decide his future, which he added would depend on whether his side win trophies.

Valverde lifted a Liga and Copa del Rey double last year and his side are currently three points clear at the top of the table after 17 games and have reached the last 16 of the Champions League, where they will play Olympique Lyonnais. “I have a contract with the club which was two years plus an optional and at the end of the season we have to decide whether I continue or not,” he said.

“We will postpone that decision for further down the line, depending on how the season goes.”

Even given his highly impressive domestic record since taking charge of the club in June 2017, Valverde does not enjoy the resounding backing of Barca supporters which predecessors such as Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique could count on.

He also came in for fierce criticism for the team’s shock elimination from the Champions League to AS Roma in the quarter-finals last season after squandering a 4-1 first-leg lead.

“We are not yet halfway through the season but if things go well I’d be happy to stay, although it’s not only my decision,” added Valverde.

“We all know how management works. If you don’t win things, as has happened before, people start to call for your head. But I feel good here, as I have since the start.” (Reuters)

•Photo shows Barcelona coach, Erneste Valverde 

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 6, 2019


 

You may also like...
Right2win President In UK For NLO European Partnership...

Redouble Your Efforts In 2020, GM Charges Rivers...

Rohr Speaks on Moses and Mikel’s Super Eagles...

Premier League victory: Chelsea players to share £5m...

Mayweather, McGregor projected to reach 1 billion homes...

Russia 2018 World Cup: President Weah’s wake-up call...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,060 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,573 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media