Messi says Ballon d'’Or snub was no extra motivation

By Daily Sports on December 10, 2018

Lionel Messi insisted his fifth-place finish in Monday’s Ballon d’Or awards was not a motivating factor behind his sensational performance in Barcelona’s 4-0 thrashing of local rivals Espanyol in La Liga on Saturday.

The Argentine forward scored two masterful free kicks and created a goal for Ousmane Dembele among highlights in a bewitching individual display.

Messi, a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, did not make the podium for the first time in a decade with Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric given the trophy.

“No,” said Barca captain Messi to Movistar when asked if he had extra motivation for the game because of the awards snub.

“We all came out fired-up from the start, really focused and determined. We knew (we had to because of) the stadium we were coming to and the opponents we were facing, they are having a great season.”

Messi’s teammates praised him, disagreeing with his placement in the Ballon d’Or rankings and the words of Brazil legend Pele who said the forward only has one foot and one skill.

“(Pele) must not be able to see very well if he said what he said about Messi,” Barcelona full back Jordi Alba said.

“The Ballon d’Or is a lie. Leo is always the best in the world. It was not fair on Messi.

“There are a lot of campaigns coming from Madrid. If Cristiano (Ronaldo) had been in Madrid maybe the media and the fans would have wanted him to win, but he left so, well, Modric.

“Modric is a great player and had a great season, he’s one of the best in the world but No 1 is Messi.” (SuperSport)

•Photo shows Lionel Messi

Source Daily Sports

Posted December 10, 2018


 

You may also like...
Robinho bags nine-year prison sentence for gang rape...

Lagos top schools for fourth Dolphin Swimming League...

Dana Air, Heartland FC strike sponsorship deal

Fury’s heavyweight title bout with Usyk postponed

Fury Welcomes Joshua Sparring Offer Before Wilder Rematch...

NPFL: Benin Arsenal fire blank against Scorpions

 

Latest News NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,875 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,422 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,843 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,372 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media