By Daily Sports on November 21, 2018
Video assistant referees could be used in the Champions League and Europa League knockout rounds this season.
The technology was set to be first used in the competitions from next season.
But European Club Association chairman Andrea Agnelli, sat next to Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin at a press conference, said: “It’s possible for earlier implementation.”
VAR was used at the 2018 World Cup and will be introduced to the Premier League for the 2019/20 campaign.
Speaking in Brussels at the joint press conference, Ceferin said that Uefa’s refereeing chief Roberto Rosetti has been leading efforts to ensure that referees were ready for the implementation of VAR and that all technical issues had been addressed.
“I expect the report in a week or so and then we will see when we can implement it. At the latest, next season,” he said.
Responding to Ceferin, Juventus chairman Agnelli added: “The latest next season also means there is space for earlier implementation.
“We are delighted as clubs for that and we thank Uefa for the work they’ve been putting together.”
The first Champions League knockout matches will be played on 12 February 2019, with the Europa League knockout stage starting two days later. The quarter-finals have also been suggested for a possible first use, the last eight matches in both competitions will be played the week commencing 9 April 2019. (BBC)
•Photo shows VAR
Source Daily Sports
Posted November 21, 2018
You may also like...
5 Positive In Latest Premier League COVID-19 Tests...
Barca Cut Ties with PR Company Accused of...
Our fate in our hands, says Tornadoes' Aliko...
Bayern Munich Offer Coutinho Fresh Start
Aiteo Cup Victory: Enugu Govt. thanks Rangers’ fans,...
Suarez Says Koeman Blasts Barcelona Coach, Ex-President

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,879 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)