El Clasico: Watch out for ‘wounded’ Madrid, warns Valverde

By Daily Sports on October 28, 2018

Real Madrid's dire run of form makes them an even more dangerous prospect for La Liga leaders Barcelona in Sunday’s ‘Clasico’, Barca coach Ernesto Valverde said on Saturday.

Real head to the Nou Camp without a win in the league since September 22, seventh in the table and with coach Julen Lopetegui almost certainly facing the sack should his side fail to win the eagerly-anticipated meeting between Spain's two biggest clubs.

"We all know how Madrid are, the more wounded they are, the more dangerous they are," Valverde told a news conference.

"The key to winning the game will be who plays best on the day and not about who is in better form. I expect to face the best possible Madrid side."

Despite Real's problems, a win for the European champions would see them cut the gap behind Barca down to a single point.

Valverde said Real's problems have been exaggerated and that his side were motivated by a desire to further twist the knife into their arch-rivals.

"We aren't focusing too much on that, there's a lot of noise when teams run into situations like this but we are focusing on what our opponents are truly like, and they have a fantastic team, they aren't lacking in any areas," he added.

"We are only four points ahead of them, it's not a huge distance. Crises in teams like Real Madrid are always blown out of proportion, but out on the pitch the players are the same as they are."

Barca experienced their own struggles with form this season when they went on a four-match winless run but they are on a roll after a convincing 4-2 win over Sevilla last week and an impressive 2-0 victory over Inter Milan in the Champions League.

They will still be without Lionel Messi with a broken arm although Valverde said Barca, who eased to victory over Inter without the Argentinian, have already dealt with the temporary absence of their all-time top scorer.

"We have already moved on, we have to take a step forward like we did against Inter. It feels strange to prepare for a Clasico without him, but the team is mentally ready," he said.

The 'Clasico' is the most watched domestic game in club football and has produced unforgettable moments, such as a Barca fan throwing a pig's head at Real's Luis Figo in a meeting in 2002 after the Portuguese controversially crossed the divide.

For most of the last decade, the fixture has been defined by the battle for supremacy between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who left Real for Juventus at the end of last season.

Valverde, though, laughed off suggestions that the two forwards' absence would make the fixture any less entertaining.

"It is no less of a ‘Clasico’ without Messi and Cristiano," he said. "It has existed long before they did, there has always been tension, there have even been flying pigs heads.” (SuperSport)

•Photo shows Barcelona coach, Ernest's Valverde 

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 28, 2018


 

You may also like...
CBN Subdues Unity Bank To Win 2019 All...

Who partners Osimhen in Eagles attack?

Leicester City Boss Laments Iheanacho And Ndidi Absence...

Nigeria drops three places in latest Fifa ranking...

Doping: Gatlin fires coach

Odion Ighalo favoured to lead Nigeria’s attack vs...

 

Latest News Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,106 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,059 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,446 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media