By Daily Sports on October 27, 2018
La Liga’s plans to host the Girona versus Barcelona domestic league game in the United States in January hit another stumbling block when soccer’s world governing body Fifa said on Friday it opposed the idea.
The Spanish league drew controversy when it signed a 15-year deal with Relevent Sports in August to expand its presence in the US, including taking one regular-season match per campaign over the Atlantic.
The Spanish FA opposed the idea from the off and on Friday Fifa President Gianni Infantino also rejected the idea, saying league matches had to be played on home soil.
“The Fifa council of course discussed this matter and this proposal to host an official game of La Liga outside of Spain, in Miami in particular,” Infantino said after a council meeting in Rwanda.
“The council emphasised the sporting principle that official match leagues must be played within the territory of the respective member association. So the council has clear views on that,” said Infantino, adding that he agreed with the opinion expressed.
The decision was a further blow to La Liga president Javier Tebas, who last month said he was “90 percent sure” the game would take place in the US.
La Liga is expected to appeal, with a spokesman saying: “Should we receive official notification from Fifa that they prohibit the match, we will take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport urgently.” (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Barcelona players
Source Daily Sports
Posted October 27, 2018
You may also like...
NFF Exco gives sub-committee 5 days to recommend...
We must go back to grassroots to revive...
Ribery Suffers Double Blow With Injury And Burglary...
Seven potential additions to strengthen Eagles for W’Cup...
Peng Shuai: ITF 'Does Not Want To Punish...
Onigbinde says Eagles will reach World Cup final...

Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,641 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,049 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)