Croatia sack coach over 'glory to Ukraine' video

By Daily Sports on July 10, 2018

Croatia's Football Federation (HNS) sacked Ognjen Vukojević, a member of the national team's coaching staff, over a "glory to Ukraine" video posted after Croatia beat Russia in the World Cup quarter-finals, HNS said in a statement on Monday.

Vukojevic and Croatia defender Domagoj Vida published the video on social media after the match on Saturday in a move which was criticised by Russian politicians and led to a warning from FIFA's disciplinary committee.

Relations between Ukraine and World Cup hosts Russia remain fraught after the latter's 2014 annexation of the Crimean peninsula and its backing for a pro-Russian uprising in the east of the country.

HNS said it had revoked Vukojevic's accreditation at the World Cup and relieved him of his duties as an observer for the Croatia squad.

"HNS hereby apologises to the Russian public for the actions of a member of the Croatian delegation," it said.

HNS said Vukojevic and Vida apologised for their statements, saying they were not intended to be political messages but "unfortunately left room for such interpretations".

Both Vukojevic and the 29-year-old Vida previously played for Ukrainian club Dynamo Kiev.

Croatia face England in the World Cup semi-finals in Moscow on Wednesday.

Questions on the subject were not allowed when Croatia players Mario Mandzukic and Andrej Kramaric spoke at a news conference in Moscow later on Monday.

"We have been quite clear on the matter, that is the position of the federation and we don't need to ask the players," a Croatia team spokesman said.

FIFA later handed Vukojevic a fine of 15,000 Swiss francs ($15,000) and a warning for unsporting behaviour, adding that the assistant coach had apologised for his actions. (RTE)

Source Daily Sports

Posted July 10, 2018


 

You may also like...
Key players absent as Eagles seek revenge against...

NFF’s partners dangle N4m for various awards

Flying Eagles countenance Zambia 2017

Ex-Nigeria international, Obi Okoye, for burial tomorrow

Solskjaer Defends ‘Mentally Strong’ De Gea After Errors...

EPL: West Ham Pip Struggling Fulham

 

Latest News Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,399 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,287 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,728 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,214 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,596 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media