Sarri unlikely to get Chelsea job following damaging allegations

By Daily Sports on June 2, 2018

Maurizio Sarri's regular brushes with Italy's football authorities look likely to cost him the chance of becoming Chelsea's next manager, Sky Sports News understands.

A series of misdemeanours – the most recent a 20k Euro fine and two-game ban in January for alleged homophobic abuse of then Inter Milan manager Roberto Mancini – looks to have steered the west London club away from appointing the 60-year old.

Sarri denied being homophobic but was banned for "directing extremely insulting epithets at the coach of the opposing team".

Sky in Italy have reported Chelsea had an agreement in place with Sarri's representatives to succeed Antonio Conte if he leaves Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile, it's understood Chelsea have so far refused to pay the £7m release clause being demanded by Napoli's owner.

But it's his growing list of transgressions which look set to end Sarri's chances of replacing Antonio Conte.

Sky in Italy have previously reported on a series of incidents involving Sarri, including an obscene gesture to supporters of Juventus in Turin, foul-mouthed abuse of his own players and sexist remarks about female journalists.

Roberto Mancini (now Italy's National team coach) had accused Sarri of using homophobic language towards him during a touchline altercation.

"In England, someone like him wouldn't even be allowed on the touchline," the ex-Manchester City boss told Rai Sport.

After the Coppa Italia tie, Sarri said: "Am I homophobic? That seems over the top. I was just irritable."

Mancini claimed Sarri shouted "poof" and another homophobic slur as Inter sealed a 2-0 quarter-final win that day. 

The Inter boss was eventually sent to the stands as his side clinched a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Stevan Jovetic and Adem Ljajic.

"I went to find Sarri in the locker room and he apologised, but I want him to be ashamed of what he said," added Mancini.

"People like him cannot be in football. If not, it never gets better."

Sarri, 57, claimed not to remember the exact words he had used towards Mancini during what was only Napoli's second defeat since August, adding that he had "heard worse on a football pitch".

"These are things that should end on the field," Sarri told Rai Sport.

"I apologised to him, but I expect him to apologise, too. A fight on the pitch should end after 10 seconds.

"I was fired up and angry, so I'm not sure what I said. I will admit it wasn't the right tone to take.

"I was not discriminating against anyone. If I did indeed use those words, then I apologise to the gay community."

Fabrizio Marrazzo from Italian lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual rights group Gay Center told BBC World Service Sport Sarri "should lose his job".

Sarri has received plaudits from across Europe for the quality of football played by his teams at Pescara, Empoli and most recently Napoli.

With Chelsea currently investigating accusations of bullying and racism by former coaches Gwyn Williams and Graham Rix, it's understood to be unlikely they will now take the risk of appointing Sarri if, as expected, Conte leaves Stamford Bridge this summer.

•Report culled from Sky Sports and BBC. Photo shows Sari

Source Daily Sports

Posted June 2, 2018


 

You may also like...
Tyson Fury 'will not apply' for new licence...

Giant Killers Send Akwa United, Rangers, Warri Wolves...

NOC congratulates NBBF for securing the Olympic Games...

Athletics Federation Crisis: How Sports Minister Sunday Dare...

NFF rejects Wikadson’s appointment as Plateau United’s Coach...

Lopetegui criticises Girona v Barcelona US game plan...

 

Latest News NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,873 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media