By Daily Sports on April 7, 2018
MMA champion Conor McGregor kept his cool Friday morning as he was walked out of a Brooklyn precinct after being hit with assault charges stemming
from the wild tantrum he threw at the Barclays Center.
The 29-year-old Irishman, whose nickname is “The Notorious,” held his head high as he was escorted from the 78th Precinct in Prospect Heights to a waiting police car, his hands cuffed behind him.
McGregor — wearing a blue long-sleeved collared shirt, skinny jeans and a pristine pair of $795 Saint Laurent “Jump” sneakers — said nothing Friday, but went ballistic the day before in a non-public area of the sports arena, hurling a metal guardrail and other items at a bus following a UFC 223 press conference hyping Saturday’s bout between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway.
Holloway has since been deemed medically unfit to fight.
At one point, McGregor tossed a hand truck at the bus — which was full of fighters on Saturday’s card —that smashed through a window and injured fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg.
Chiesa suffered cuts to his face and Borg had multiple corneal abrasions, according to the UFC. As a result, both of their fights Saturday were canceled.
Also yanked from the card was McGregor’s teammate Artem Lobov for his alleged role in the fracas.
McGregor’s temper flared following a decision by UFC officials Wednesday to strip him of his lightweight title. He was not scheduled to fight Saturday.
The violent scene, which was caught on video, was in retaliation to an encounter at a hotel Wednesday in which Nurmagomedov and his crew cornered Lobov, according to MMA Fighting.
He turned himself in to the 78th Precinct on Thursday night and was charged with felony criminal mischief and three counts of misdemeanor assault.
The foul-mouthed fighter looked serious in his mugshot, giving the camera an icy stare.
McGregor — who notably went 10 rounds in a loss to professional boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year — hasn’t competed in a UFC fight since winning the 155-pound title in November 2016.
Also busted was Cian Cowley 25, a member of McGregor’s entourage, who was charged with assault and criminal mischief after an equipment manager hurt his hand.
He and McGregor will be arraigned Friday in Brooklyn Criminal Court.
Lobov was not charged.
UFC president Dana White called the scuffle “the most disgusting thing that has ever happened” in the sport’s history.
McGregor was the first fighter in UFC history to wear two belts simultaneously after winning both the lightweight and featherweight titles.
He lost a well-watched boxing fight last year against now-retired Super Featherweight world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
•Additional reporting from New York Post). Photo shows Connor McGregor being led out of the courtroom in handcuffs
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 7, 2018
You may also like...
Coutinho Shines As Brazil Spank South Korea
‘FA not to blame for poor officiating in...
Abia Warriors will bounce back – Boboye
Klopp Reveals Guardiola Call after Liverpool’s Champions League...
Atiku, son banter on Twitter over Chelsea vs...
Neymar needs competition for place says PSG coach...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,504 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)