Newcastle consider Sesko amid Isak uncertainty

By Daily Sports Nigeria on July 25, 2025

Newcastle are exploring a move for RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko in case Alexander Isak departs this summer.

Isak has not travelled with the Magpies for their pre-season tour of Asia as he considers his future at the club amid interest from Liverpool.

Sesko was heavily linked with Arsenal until the Gunners shifted their focus to Sporting striker Viktor Gyokeres.

Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea were also keeping tabs on the Slovenia international earlier in the window.

Newcastle will only attempt to sign the 22-year-old, who scored 13 goals in 33 Bundesliga appearances last season, if Isak leaves.

Newcastle said Isak, 25, didn't travel to Singapore with the rest of the squad due to a "minor thigh injury".

Team-mate Dan Burn told Sky Sports that the departure of any player at this stage of the window would "upset a tight-knit group", while captain Bruno Guimaraes said Newcastle "want to keep our best players".

"He is a top striker, his [record over the] last three seasons speaks by itself, he's a top player," Guimaraes said.

"But as far as I know he just stayed there because of his injury, his treatment with the club."

Isak scored 27 goals in 42 appearances across all competitions for Newcastle last season and his exit would leave the north east outfit severely lacking options in the final third.

Callum Wilson left St James' Park on a free earlier this month and 21-year-old Will Osula - who registered twice in 19 outings last term - is the only other senior striker available to Eddie Howe.

Newcastle are preparing to fight on multiple fronts in 2025-26 after securing a return to the Champions League, but have been slow in strengthening their squad during the off-season.

They have fallen short in their pursuit of reinforcements with targets Joao Pedro and Liam Delap joining Chelsea, while Hugo Ekitike preferred a move to Liverpool.

Forward Anthony Elanga is the only new addition to Howe's ranks after completing a £55m switch from Nottingham Forest.

A move for Yoane Wissa remains a top priority for Newcastle even if Isak stays put and the DR Congo forward appears open after leaving Brentford's pre-season base in Portugal this week.

Source BBC Sports

Posted July 25, 2025


 

You may also like...
How Vaswani, Nkeaka won India Cup golf tourney...

Italian Open: Djokovic slays Dominic Thiem

Injured Lewandowski To Miss England Clash

No shame in losing to Real – PSG...

Manchester United’s senior players ‘angry and frustrated’ with...

Enter Steve Ayorinde!

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,029 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,386 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,276 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,755 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,631 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,525 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,716 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,202 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media