By Daily Sports Nigeria on July 16, 2025
Crystal Palace supporters have staged a protest against Uefa's decision to demote the club to the Conference League.
On Tuesday, hundreds of fans marched to Palace's Selhurst Park ground carrying banners and chanting against European football's governing body.
The Eagles, who qualified for the Europa League by winning the FA Cup in May - their first major trophy - were demoted to the lower tier of Uefa competition after breaching multi-club ownership rules.
American businessman John Textor owns a stake in Crystal Palace and is the majority owner of French club Lyon, who have also qualified for the Europa League.
The rules of European football's governing body state clubs owned, to a certain threshold of influence, by the same person or entity cannot compete in the same European competition.
Uefa's rules set a deadline of 1 March 2025 to show proof of multi-club ownership restructuring - a deadline which Palace missed.
Textor is currently in the process of selling his stake in Crystal Palace to New York Jets owner Woody Johnson.
Nottingham Forest, who finished seventh in the Premier League last season, are set to replace Palace in the Europa League.
Palace are expected to take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).
"At the end of the day it's an injustice, just by a couple of admin errors. We qualified for it," Nick Philpot from the Red and Blue Review podcast said at the march.
"We won the cup - it should be we go into it without any question about it.
"You're penalising the entire club and the fanbase. Why would you do that?"
Last week, Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish called the decision "a bad day for football" and "a terrible injustice".
"We've been locked out of a European competition on the most ridiculous technicality," he said. "Supporters of all clubs should be devastated for us."
Uefa has been approached for comment.
Source BBC Sports
Posted July 16, 2025
You may also like...
How Falcons fared against Canada
10-Man Ajax Stun Table-Toppers PSV to Throw Dutch...
A disappointing end, goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali laments AFCON...
Nigeria Players Union to write NFF, FIFA, FIFPRO...
Falconets down but not out – Dedevbo
Federer loses World No. 1 spot

Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report
SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,029 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,386 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,276 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,631 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,525 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,716 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,202 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)