Alexander-Arnold move won't spoil title party - Van Dijk

By Daily Sports Nigeria on May 13, 2025

Virgil van Dijk is confident Liverpool's Premier League title celebrations will not be overshadowed by the departure of Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The Liverpool-born right-back, 26, announced last week that he will leave when his contract expires at the end of June, and he is expected to join Real Madrid.

Alexander-Arnold played for the first time since confirming his impending exit when he appeared as a substitute in the 2-2 draw against Arsenal on Sunday and was booed by some supporters.

Captain Van Dijk, who said the team are "gutted" to be losing such an important player, said Alexander-Arnold "has to deal" with the negativity.

He also promised that Liverpool plan to celebrate their record-equalling 20th English top-flight title in style - ensuring Alexander-Arnold is part of the trophy lift celebrations at Anfield on Sunday, 25 May.

An open-top bus parade in the city will follow the next day.

"We want to win two more games and after the final whistle, including him [Alexander-Arnold], lift the trophy up and celebrate like we have never done before," said the 33-year-old Netherlands international.

When asked whether Alexander-Arnold's approaching exit could overshadow the celebrations, Van Dijk said: "I don't think so. It shouldn't. There's a lot more players that also deserve an amazing day."

Sunday's jeers were mixed with cheers from other supporters, with Alexander-Arnold's team-mate of eight years, Andy Robertson, telling Sky Sports it was "not nice" to hear the boos.

Van Dijk, who signed a two-year contract last month, said all of the Liverpool players need to move on and focus on the final two games of the season.

"The [crowd] reaction happened," Van Dijk said. "He has to deal with it. We as a team have to deal with that as well.

"I wasn't really expecting something, to be honest, but I think maybe he expected this. It's not easy, not at all. We're here for him anyway.

"We are gutted that he's not here with us next year because he's a fantastic player with outstanding, exceptional qualities that we have seen over the last seven years."

The Dutchman also insisted that his situation and that of top scorer Mohamed Salah, 32, who also recently signed a new two-year deal, could not be compared to Alexander-Arnold's position.

"Everyone shares different opinions and he feels like he has done it all, and he did it, and he wants to try something different," Van Dijk said.

"You are speaking about one of the biggest clubs of all in Real Madrid, who he might go to as I read in the media.

"I was sorting my own stuff out. I had to secure my future as well and I was quite busy doing that.

"There were loads of other options, but Liverpool is the place for me."

Source BBC Sports

Posted May 13, 2025


 

You may also like...
Ivory Coast grab former Belgium coach

Virus Threatens Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics

WABU president denies ABU allegations, queries suspension

Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City...

Chelsea muzzle Wolves in FA Cup

Mendy Deserves To Be Chelsea’s First-choice Keeper —...

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,029 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,631 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media