Joshua grateful to Nigeria, departs for next fight

By Daily Sports Nigeria on April 24, 2025

Two-time heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has expressed gratitude to Nigeria for the “energy, generosity and kindness” shown to him during his stay in the country as he departs to prepare for his next fight.

The British-Nigerian fighter, who has been spending time in his ancestral homeland to complete his rehabilitation from an injury, shared his appreciation through a heartfelt message posted on his Instagram account.

“Nigeria, thank you for your energy, generosity & kindness,” Joshua wrote in what many fans interpreted as a farewell message ahead of his return to England.

Several fans then commented, wishing the 35-year-old success as he returns to the ring.

Gbadia Figheghawei wrote, “Go and take over the world, my brother.”

Olumayowa Odejimi tipped Joshua for a third world championship reign, commenting, “We are behind you champ 3x.”

Another user with the username @iamdx2 added, “You have refuelled your energy, we want you to go and take back your world belts.”

Royal Diadem also commented on the enjoyable time Joshua had in the country.

“Nigerians know how to have a good time. AJ, you had a good time,” she wrote.

During his time in Nigeria, the 35-year-old boxer made headlines with several memorable moments, including getting a street-side haircut that went viral across social media platforms. Joshua was also spotted walking through the streets, engaging with locals and embracing the warm reception from the community.

The heavyweight star, born to a Nigerian mother and a father of Nigerian and Irish descent, proudly displays his heritage with a tattoo of Africa on his shoulder, with Nigeria’s borders prominently outlined. His visit to Sagamu—his ancestral hometown—dominated social media trends and sparked excitement among fans.

One of the highlights of Joshua’s stay was his attendance at the birthday celebration of Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, where he mingled with several Nigerian billionaires. He also had a viral encounter with his chef, who prepares his meals.

Joshua returns to England as he prepares to resume his boxing career after recovering from an injury sustained following his fifth-round knockout loss to Daniel Dubois at Wembley last September. According to his promoter Eddie Hearn, the British-Nigerian fighter is entering what could be the final year of his professional boxing career.

“This is the final year. Let’s not beat around the bush,” Hearn told Sky Sports recently. “He’s going to have somewhere between – it could always be your last fight – but one and three fights, that’s the reality of the situation.”

Meanwhile, former WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder has expressed interest in a potential blockbuster clash with Joshua next year as he begins his comeback journey. The 38-year-old American, who has lost four of his last five fights, believes a long-awaited showdown with Joshua could materialise in 2026.

Meanwhile, controversial Nigerian street-pop musician Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable, would be disappointed with the boxer’s exit after earlier declaring his intention to fight Joshua following his recent victory over Speed Darlington.

“Now that I’ve beaten Speed Darlington, it is only Anthony Joshua I can fight now,” Portable told PUNCH Sports Extra, having previously expressed interest in facing the boxing star for N100m, stating that Speed Darlington was an unworthy opponent.

 

 

 

 

 

Source Punch Ng

Posted April 24, 2025


 

You may also like...
Onuachu Responds To Nigeria Coach Rohr’s Snub

Dalung assures Falcons on entitlements

Thierry Henry: Taribo West Was My Toughest Opponent...

Super Eagles missed experienced players against S/Africa: Onazi...

Akpabio crowned Nigerian Pillar of Sports 2017

Agent: Osimhen Won’t Join Man Utd, Arsenal

 

Latest News Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,203 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media