By Daily Sports on September 26, 2020
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane says he does not want to sign any more players before the transfer window shuts, even after his side looked short on firepower in their 0-0 draw at Real Sociedad in last week’s season opener.
Real have been unusually quiet in the transfer window since winning LaLiga in July, making no new signings despite parting ways with Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez, Achraf Hakimi and Sergio Reguilon. Their only new arrivals were Borja Mayoral, Alvaro Odriozola and Martin Odegaard who all returned from loan spells.
Madrid’s squad was so light against Real Sociedad that Zidane brought on two players, Sergio Arribas and Marvin Park, who had never played for the first team and did not have Wikipedia pages before kickoff.
But speaking before Madrid’s second game of the season away to Real Betis on Saturday, Zidane insisted he was happy with the players at his disposal.
“This is the squad I have and I won’t ask for anyone else,” said the Frenchman.
“Everyone wants to know who is going to come but I’m content with my squad. We're going to work hard to get in the right shape so we can achieve the objectives we have set ourselves.
“Anything could happen but right now like all other coaches I want the transfer window to shut as soon as possible, all we want to do is talk about matches.”
Zidane did get a boost this week as wingers Marco Asensio, Lucas Vazquez and Eden Hazard all returned but he admitted the players were unlikely to feature against Betis because they have trained so little.
Madrid lost on their last visit to Betis 2-1 in March, just before the coronavirus pandemic caused global sport to shut down.
The Seville club, coached by former Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini, have made a 100 per cent start to the new season, beating Alaves 1-0 and Real Valladolid 2-0. (Reuters)
•PHOTO: Zinedine Zidane
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 26, 2020
You may also like...
No Comparison Between Lukaku and Kane — Tuchel...
Man Utd Demanding Big Money To Sell Sergio...
Borna Coric stuns Roger Federer to reach finals...
Nigerian Athletes Get IOC Scholarship Ahead of Japan...
Simeone Confident Suarez, Felix Can Unlock Chelsea In...
Grand Slams Pledge To ‘Create Meaningful Improvements’ After...

Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,034 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,390 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,281 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,881 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,759 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,635 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,531 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,042 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,251 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,720 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)