I Want To Break The Jinx, Says Bash Ali

By Daily Sports on January 15, 2020

“Why is it that when a Nigerian stands up to do something great in Nigeria, the No 1 opponents are Nigerians who are supposed to help him or her? But when out of frustration, the Nigerian goes abroad and becomes successful, Nigerians will be the first to say this is our own.” These were the questions by former World Cruiserweight Champion, Bash Ali, whose effort to enter the Guinness Record as the oldest man to fight in Nigeria and Africa is yet to see the light of day.

In 1985, Bash Ali made history as the first Cruiserweight boxing champion from the African continent. And 35 years after achieving that feat, he wants to walk into the ring once again. But the more Bash Ali tries to push his case, the more obstacles he encounter. However, the boxer says he would continue to push until his dream comes true.

In a letter to The Guardian yesterday, Ali said: “I want to break the jinx that a Nigerian cannot succeed in Nigeria unless he or she goes abroad. But I need help.” Last week, the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development refuted issuing any presidential endorsement to Bash Ali for his planned Guinness Record Fight.

In a letter sent to Ali through the sports ministry’s legal department and also forwarded to The Guardian, the ministry advised that the boxer should desist from peddling false claims about a non-existent approval from the office of the Minister to embark on a world fight. It added that no approval was given by the President, contrary to claims by Bash Ali that the endorsement was conveyed to him by office of the minister.

But in his letter dated January 12, 2020, addressed to Mr. Sunday Dare, Honorable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Bash Ali said: “Sports is one of the biggest industries in the world and if well organized in Nigeria will earn money for the government. “On January 6, 2020, I wrote a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari through your good self requesting for a courtesy visit to thank Mr President for once again recognizing my patriotism, tenacity and the Nigerian spirit of never give up by approving the hosting in Nigeria the first Guinness World Record in boxing championship fight to hold on the soil of Africa and what would be the most lucrative event in the history of boxing.

“Sir, this historic event was approved in 2015 and again on May 21, 2019 by President Muhammadu Buhari. You have a copy of Mr President’s May 21, 2019 inaugural speech. “Sir, on January 7, 2020, I got a letter from you through the Director Legal Services. Paragraph 2 reads: ‘I am directed to state that it has come to the notice of this ministry your false claims about a non-existent approval from the office of the Minister to embark on the said world fight.

Bash Ali asked: “Sir, is Mr President’s directive to you to meet with me not to go and execute his approval? I am sure you share Mr President’s vision for a better Nigeria with an enabling environment for every Nigeria to succeed.” (The Guardian)

•PHOTO: Bash Ali 

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 15, 2020


 

You may also like...
NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors Beat Toronto Raptors...

Mbappe Luring Dembele To PSG

Neymar In A Good State Of Mind, says...

19-year-old knocks out Venus Williams in Tianjin

Liverpool Brush Aside Arsenal To Catch Up With...

Usyk Announces Retirement Plans

 

Latest News Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60 Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31 ‘That goal changed my life,’ Okocha recalls iconic solo strike against Oliver Kahn WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,032 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,281 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,880 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,757 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,635 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,531 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,041 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,250 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,719 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,206 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media