By Daily Sports on May 15, 2019
Barcelona are set to make another attempt to sign Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid after last year’s long saga led to the France international rejecting the Catalan club, according to multiple reports in the Spanish media on Tuesday.
Griezmann famously turned down an offer to join Barcelona last season, detailing his internal struggles about whether to make the move in a landmark documentary called The Decision, which was produced by a company owned by Barca’s Gerard Pique.
He later signed a new contract with Atletico until 2023 which initially raised his release clause to 200 million euros but numerous reports say that figure will drop to 120 million on July 1.
Catalan newspaper Sport said on their front cover that Barca have set their sights on Griezmann again and plan to fund paying his release clause of 120 million euros ($134.9 million) by selling Brazilian Philippe Coutinho, who cost them a club record 165 million.
Spanish newspaper Marca said that Atletico’s squad believe Griezmann’s departure is ‘feasible’ while radio station Cadena Ser said the Frenchman is looking to leave the Madrid outfit after ending the campaign trophyless.
The Griezmann saga caused great embarrassment to Barca but after the humiliating 4-0 defeat to Liverpool which sent them out of the Champions League, the club are planning to shake up their ageing squad ahead of next season.
Griezmann has been Atletico's talismanic figure since joining from Real Sociedad in 2014, but the club's finances have been stretched by his ever rising salary, which Marca say exceeds 20 million euros per year after tax. (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Antoine Griezmann
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 15, 2019
You may also like...
Lagos SUBEB, organisers ready for Kiddies Olympics
Edo FA Cup countdown: BJ Foundation in impressive...
Aboubakar extends Porto stay till 2021
D’Tigers Defeat Rwanda Romp Into Next Round at...
Henderson Wins FWA Player Of The Year Award...
FIFA research says 48-team World Cup is the...

Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,787 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,110 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,066 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,453 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,845 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,031 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,528 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,955 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)