Liverpool legend blasts Gary Neville for criticising Wenger, tells him to remember his failure at Valencia

By Nelson Dafe on March 4, 2018

Ex Liverpool great Josh Toshack has said Gary Neville was ‘out of order’ for his recent attack on Arsenal and says the former

Manchester United defender should look at his own managerial record before he criticises other bosses.

Neville branded the Gunners ‘spineless’ and questioned the players’ desire following last weekend’s 3-0 EFL Cup final defeat to Manchester City.

That defeat piled the pressure on manager

Arsene Wenger, with many calling for the Frenchman’s exit, and his misery was compounded as his side were humiliated again in another 3-0 loss to City in the Premier League on Thursday.

Wenger responded to Neville’s jibes and said it was ‘amazing’ how people have forgotten that they were in the final on merit, and lost to a team many are branding the best in

Premier League history.

Toshack was also not impressed by Neville’s comments, and the former Real Madrid manager took aim at the ex-England international’s failed spell in charge of Spanish side Valencia to make his point.

Speaking on the Weekend Sports Breakfast , the Liverpool and Wales legend said: “The

Gary Neville outburst surprised and disappointed me.

“There’s maybe still a little bit of resentment against Arsenal and Wenger from Neville’s time at Old Trafford, because that was a very tense rivalry under Fergie.

“Maybe things could be a little bit better at Arsenal and sooner or later Arsene Wenger will leave the club, there’s no secret there, but in my opinion after more than 20 years of service he deserves a little more respect, especially from someone who is yet to prove themselves in football management.

“Gary Neville didn’t exactly endear himself to the Spanish football public during his short and embarrassing spell at Valencia.

“I don’t think Gary Neville did any favours to British managers hoping to work abroad for his spell in Valencia. When I first came to Spain 35 years ago, Terry Venables was at Barcelona, Jock Wallis was at Sevilla, Howard Kendall was at Athletic Bilbao , Ron Atkinson at Atletico Madrid – there were five of us, and back in the English first division there was not one foreigner.

“Now the situation has gone full circle – the top six clubs in the premier league are all managed by foreign coaches and there’s not one Brit in Spain, so there’s some food for thought there I think.

“I feel that in the modern day people talk too loosely. If there’s somebody who had been in football management for 30 years at the highest level, then maybe you can respect their opinion.

“As a player, very often you’ve got no idea the problems a manager had. Each morning you go in you think you’re going to have a nice easy day, and you’ve got 15 or 20 problems there awaiting you. So I stick by what I said, I think he was very much out of order to criticise Wenger.”

•Photo shows Gary Neville

 

Source Daily Sports

Posted March 4, 2018


 

You may also like...
AFCON 2025: Eric Chelle gives update on Super...

UAM Tillers, DELSU Titans qualify HiFL’s round of...

Kane fires Tottenham past Everton

AFCON 2019: The Way We Are

Liverpool ‘Focused’ on Winning Premier League Title —...

Inter Step Up Partey Pursuit

 

Latest News Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,564 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,871 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,784 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,420 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,335 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,254 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,122 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,670 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,841 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,230 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media