Tevez expected back in China

By Daily Sports on August 16, 2017

 Shanghai Shenhua denied suggestions that Carlos Tevez's career in China was over and said on Wednesday they expected him to return after the Argentine went home for treatment on a muscle injury.

The 33-year-old forward, one of the best-paid players in the world on reported weekly wages of around €730 000, has scored just twice since joining the Chinese Super League (CSL) club in January from Boca Juniors and has missed half of this season's games with injury.

His poor form and repeated absences have seen Shanghai fans turn on the Argentina international, raising questions over whether he would return after treatment.

Tevez has helped fuel the doubts after previously criticising the standard of Chinese football and hinting he might look for a move.

"No one ever said he would leave," a Shanghai spokesman told AFP.

"After this Saturday's game we will have a short break and the whole team will be off until August 28."

The CSL, which is more than halfway through the season with Shanghai in the bottom half of the table under Uruguayan coach Gus Poyet, pauses from this weekend until September 8.

The break, and Tevez's apparent injury problems, meant it was a good opportunity for him to seek rehabilitation back in Argentina and the decision to let him go was made after discussions between the player and the Shenhua's medical team, the club said.

Tevez, who has a history of falling out with clubs and coaches during an itinerant career that has included spells at Manchester City, Manchester United and Juventus, was due to be back in China by August 30, the spokesman said.

Nicknamed "Apache", Tevez fell out with his Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini when he refused to warm up as a substitute in the last moments of a Champions League match against Bayern Munich in September 2011.

Tevez flew back to Argentina and considered retiring, before eventually returning to England in February 2012.

He enraged Shanghai supporters in April when he was spotted at Disneyland the same day he missed an important match due to injury

Poyet has also faced calls to be sacked or quit and Shenhua -- missing Tevez -- were smashed 5-0 at the weekend.

But they returned to action on Tuesday in the Chinese Cup and, with Tevez out of the country, beat second-tier Shanghai Shenxin 1-0 at home. © AFP

•Photo shows Carlos Tevez.

Source Daily Sports

Posted August 16, 2017


 

You may also like...
French Open 2017: Murray, Halep survive qualify scare...

Rohr Cries Out Over 2021 AFCON Qualifying Schedule,...

Cavani Wahala For Brighton Today At Old Trafford...

Samuel Kalu Shines As Nigeria Open 2021 Afcon...

Bartomeu Hints at Barcelona Clear-Out

Rangnick: Man Utd To Need Rebuild

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,312 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,481 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,469 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,068 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,050 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,049 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,865 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,413 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,523 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,127 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,564 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,986 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media